Pig Dipping

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 3 June 2004 4.27pm
Ivanhoe just reminded me. A friend of mine insists that when a certain drink is being created, to give full authentic flavour the best batches have a pig dipped in them (he didn't specify alive or dead). Please can someone confirm that this is utter b..unkum?

Post edited (03 Jun 04 16:43)
Thursday 3 June 2004 6.22pm
We'll try it when we make ours......I think it's one of those rural myths. However, my Mother insisted to me that her Father would put a dead rat in his "to give it body" he would tell his customers that he'd put a piece of steak in it!
Anonymous User
Friday 4 June 2004 8.52am
Have you put "pig dipping" in google... you get some VERY strange results (most of which I am barred from accessing at my place of work!)
Friday 4 June 2004 10.48am
Putting a lump of meat into strong ale is a very old custom. Makes it stronger & tastier. Apparently if left long enough, the whole joint including bone will disappear, although I wonder whether that is merely a product of the oral tradition.

Cider maker, cidermaker or cider-maker?
Friday 4 June 2004 1.14pm
If you put oral tradition into google, I imagine you'll be barred from even more sites
Friday 4 June 2004 2.10pm
Friday 4 June 2004 3.52pm
they used to say a rat was left in every vat og guiness

Monday 7 June 2004 3.02pm
late catching up here, but stunned to know I reminded someone of pig-dipping

unsure how to take it, really
Monday 28 June 2004 2.36pm
Sorry to neglect this thread - Ivanhoe, I didn't mean it in a bad way, I promise! It was something you posted that reminded me, and I'm too hungover today to remember what.
Monday 28 June 2004 3.20pm
It's quite alright. Only pretending upset. [My bristly skin is far too thick, anyway]

...if you press it, they will come.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: