Celebrity mouthing

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 20 May 2016 9.03am
Ben Batch says we are more imaginative within EU.....yes..probably thinking of ways to extricate ourselves from this mess! UK is imaginative enough thank you. Don't need your overblown self importance telling voters what to do. We think for ourselves. Or should do
Friday 20 May 2016 12.09pm
In the open letter signed by over 250 artists:
“From the smallest gallery to the biggest blockbuster, many of us have worked on projects that would never have happened without vital EU funding or by collaborating across borders,” they say, in the letter.

“Britain is not just stronger in Europe, it is more imaginative and more creative, and our global creative success would be severely weakened by walking away.”

Paramount, 'they' have as much right to voice their opinions as any of us. I assume you have no objection to Sir Michael Caine expressing his choice to leave the EU.
Friday 20 May 2016 12.47pm
It's noticeable that very few successful creative people are pro-Brexit, anti-immigration, generally right wing. Why is that, any ideas?
Friday 20 May 2016 1.04pm
Cos they can afford to protect themselves and like the monarchy need have no worries... Success can be measured in many ways anyway but we should care for all sections of society and Brexit both left and right agree immigration etc is out of control
Friday 20 May 2016 1.07pm
Michael Caine actor is of sensible age like Tom Jones Singer to recall the good old days and not to be seduced or persuaded to vote for free for all on 23rd
Friday 20 May 2016 2.07pm
Paramount wrote:
Cos they can afford to protect themselves and like the monarchy need have no worries... Success can be measured in many ways anyway but we should care for all sections of society and Brexit both left and right agree immigration etc is out of control

Ah, you missed my point. I'm talking specifically about successful creative people. Amongst the successful/wealthy in general you can find plenty who are pro-Brexit, anti-immigration, generally right wing, but whilst there are a few such (e.g. Michael Caine, as you mention) in the creative community they are very much in a minority. I was just wondering out loud why this might be.

(And I disagree that there is a consensus that "immigration ... is out of control".)
Friday 20 May 2016 2.19pm
Go on a central London street transport etc and see for yourself. Don't take my word for it. Like sardines. No room to swing a cat
Friday 20 May 2016 2.39pm
Paramount wrote:
Go on a central London street transport etc and see for yourself. Don't take my word for it. Like sardines. No room to swing a cat
I do that frequently, but I don't take overcrowding on public transport as evidence that immigration is "out of control". It's a non sequitur.
Friday 20 May 2016 3.24pm
Paramount wrote:

That's just odious nonsense.

Be careful what you wish for Paramount:

'The Financial Times reports this morning that Vote Leave is hoping to secure the backing of British Asians by telling them that if Britain quits the EU, it will mean more immigration from elsewhere in the world.

The official Out campaign is drawing up leaflets aimed at Punjabi, Hindi and Urdu speakers arguing that a British exit from the EU would help to stem the flow of Eastern Europeans into the UK — allowing more incomers from Commonwealth countries to take their place'.

Doesn't sound like a proposal to exert more control over immigration, does it?
Friday 20 May 2016 3.30pm
Sandgrown Dave wrote:
It's noticeable that very few successful creative people are pro-Brexit, anti-immigration, generally right wing. Why is that, any ideas?

A theory put forward (by the vote leave side) is that there is a fear of a backlash in what is assumed to be a largely left wing / liberal industry and that expressing a pro-Brexit opinion will damage career prospects.

Caine, Botham, Daltry have made their millions and probably couldn't give a stuff about 'career prospects'!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: