The Euros

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 11 June 2016 9.21pm
My wife went shopping with her sister-in-law today, and called me to pick her up early this evening from her brother's place.
I got there just as England and Russia were about to start their football match.
I don't have the slightest interest in sport, if they held the World Cup, or the Olympic Games in my back garden, I wouldn't look out of the window.
I have to say though, that when the Russian National anthem was played, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up.
This was followed by that dirge God Save the Queen.
I have nothing against the Royal Family, indeed, I took enough tourists to Buck. House when I was driving a cab, so I was happy the Royals were there, and I don't have a socialist bone in my body, let alone a communist one, but what a difference between two national anthems, if I was a Russki, I'd charge a machine gun armed with just a catapult if I heard that anthem, but hearing the other piece of b.s. I think that I'd quietly lose my lunch, hand in my SLR to the Q/M and tell him to give it to someone more easily encouraged.
Zoe
Monday 13 June 2016 9.52am
We all think Jerusalem should be our anthem, let's be honest! We actually know the words too.
Monday 13 June 2016 11.13am
Zoe wrote:
We all think Jerusalem should be our anthem, let's be honest! We actually know the words too.

It has its fans Zoe, but I only found out today that I'd been getting the lyrics wrong for years.
I thought that it was, 'And did those FEET in ancient times, walk upon England's mountains green.'
Apparently it's 'Did those FIELDS in ancient times.'
Understandable mistake I guess, feet being more likely to walk than fields.
I think that 'I vow to thee my country', or 'Land of Hope and Glory' are more patriotic, but let's get real, you're never going to top La Marseillaise, for a blood stirring anthem.
The Star Spangled Banner wipes the floor with God save the Queen, but it's an homage to a flag more than a country.
Monday 13 June 2016 12.27pm
I've always thought that Bily Connolly was on to something when he suggested many years ago that we should adopt the theme tune from The Archers.
Monday 13 June 2016 2.37pm
Reminding myself of this got me thinking further in the same vein. If we wanted something really stirring, I have another suggestion for those old enough to remember it. How about the theme tune to The Sweeney?
Monday 13 June 2016 5.57pm
In a similar vein to La Marseillaise, we should have this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr8f0d32VK8

Perhaps not so stirring, but an end to hooliganism, surely.
Tuesday 14 June 2016 10.12am
boroughonian wrote:
In a similar vein to La Marseillaise, we should have this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr8f0d32VK8

Perhaps not so stirring, but an end to hooliganism, surely.


In a similar vein to La Marseillaise?
I'll have a double of what you've been drinking, and as to ending hooliganism, hearing that crock would incite me to throw paving slabs through the police station's windows.
In reference to Dave's suggestion re the Scottish moron.
After his "joke" urging Ken Bigley's captors to 'get on with it' and Mr. Bigley's subsequent beheading, I personally feel that his name shouldn't be mentioned in polite company.
Tuesday 14 June 2016 2.27pm
Debrajoan wrote:
...I only found out today that I'd been getting the lyrics wrong for years.
I thought that it was, 'And did those FEET in ancient times, walk upon England's mountains green.'
Apparently it's 'Did those FIELDS in ancient times.'

Hmm... who told you that? Here is how William Blake wrote it down.
Tuesday 14 June 2016 3.57pm
Tom Pepper wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
In a similar vein to La Marseillaise, we should have this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr8f0d32VK8

Perhaps not so stirring, but an end to hooliganism, surely.


In a similar vein to La Marseillaise?
I'll have a double of what you've been drinking, and as to ending hooliganism, hearing that crock would incite me to throw paving slabs through the police station's windows.
In reference to Dave's suggestion re the Scottish moron.
After his "joke" urging Ken Bigley's captors to 'get on with it' and Mr. Bigley's subsequent beheading, I personally feel that his name shouldn't be mentioned in polite company.

It's a city in the south of the country, full of half French, like Marseille.
Wednesday 15 June 2016 12.42am
[quote boroughonian][quote Tom Pepper][quote boroughonian]In a similar vein to La Marseillaise, we should have this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr8f0d32VK8

Perhaps not so stirring, but an end to hooliganism, surely.[/quote]


In a similar vein to La Marseillaise?
I'll have a double of what you've been drinking, and as to ending hooliganism, hearing that crock would incite me to throw paving slabs through the police station's windows.
In reference to Dave's suggestion re the Scottish moron.
After his "joke" urging Ken Bigley's captors to 'get on with it' and Mr. Bigley's subsequent beheading, I personally feel that his name shouldn't be mentioned in polite company.[/quote]

It's a city in the south of the country, full of half French, like Marseille.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: