Brexit

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 26 June 2016 11.46pm
Following the referendum result, I Skyped my elder son, who has lived in Germany for years now.
I said "Does this mean that I have to have you back?"
He said, "You're having a laugh I hope, those dumkopf Brits who voted you out will be crying their eyes out over the next couple of years, as it all comes back to bite their ass big time, I'm safe, I carry a Deutsch Reisepass, and I'm a happy contented citizen of Europe, I'd rather be here, knee deep in Muslim immigrants, than come back there."
Monday 27 June 2016 8.53am
Well Tom, time will tell, however does anyone else think the same as me that many voted out as they think we will go back to the UK like it was in the 1950s/1960s or did most of outside of London vote out as they think they are being left behind and ignored
Zoe
Monday 27 June 2016 9.17pm
It's surely lots of reasons depending on age, where people live, if they work (most people who work voted in, those who don't voted out, for example) and lots more things. Feeling left behind and ignored doesn't necessarily lead to voting Leave, it can also lead to not voting or voting Remain for fear of risking the economy further.

Tom, your tales of your son are great!
Monday 27 June 2016 11.19pm
Zoe wrote:
It's surely lots of reasons depending on age, where people live, if they work (most people who work voted in, those who don't voted out, for example) and lots more things. Feeling left behind and ignored doesn't necessarily lead to voting Leave, it can also lead to not voting or voting Remain for fear of risking the economy further.
Tom, your tales of your son are great!

If you think that tales of # 1 son are great, I'll tell you about # 2 one day.
He makes Ryan Reynolds look like the Elephant Man, and has never been seen without a smile on his face, or a movie star type on his arm.
Saturday 2 July 2016 8.29am
Zoe, I would like to get hold of the analyses you quote such as the old, the unemployed and the non-metropolitan voting out and the young and successful voting in.
The only believable analysis I have read is that if the young had voted " stay" instead of not voting at all then we would not be having this discussion. As I understand it only 30% of the young were sufficiently concerned for their future to vote.
Saturday 2 July 2016 9.20am
Thebunhouse wrote:
The only believable analysis I have read is that if the young had voted " stay" instead of not voting at all then we would not be having this discussion. As I understand it only 30% of the young were sufficiently concerned for their future to vote.

I have seen another report that states 36% of those eligible voters aged 18-24 voted at all. I haven't gone trawling for any other analysis (water under the bridge) but if accurate, roughly two thirds of younger voters didn't bother to vote, so any complaint that the older 'baby boomers' stuffed up their future opportunities by voting leave because they would be less affected by Brexit seems rather hollow.
Thursday 7 July 2016 7.05pm
These analysis's, how does it work in a secret ballot, how do they know anything of the sort? Genuine question, I'm sure it's staring me in the face.
Friday 8 July 2016 10.49pm
Boroughonian
When my wife and I came out of the polling station a woman asked us if we would mind telling her which age group we were in from an age profile list . We refused but no doubt others took part and maybe they got an age breakdown from compliant participants . Thats all I can think of.
This was in sunny Essex by the way.Dont know if it was universal.
Saturday 9 July 2016 1.41am
tone wrote:
Boroughonian
When my wife and I came out of the polling station a woman asked us if we would mind telling her which age group we were in from an age profile list . We refused but no doubt others took part and maybe they got an age breakdown from compliant participants . Thats all I can think of.
This was in sunny Essex by the way.Dont know if it was universal.

Thanks. But they would have to also ask who they voted for. If I remember right, it was the very next day that we were told the demographic breakdown of the vote IE: the elderly are a load of thickos and the young are enlightened. I just don't get how that's possible.

Stinks to me.
Saturday 9 July 2016 11.47am
I take your point boroughonian. Perhaps that may have been the next question she would have asked us if we had given her the chance.On reflection they couldn't have compiled the analyses by the next day anyway ,too little time.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: