Rabbits in London?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 25 October 2016 4.44pm
As I was on my Sunday morning run I spotted a small brown rabbit hopping around on the Thames Path in front of The City of London School, it didn't seem particularly scared and after a moment hopped into the planters.

Sadly I didn't have a camera with me so have no proof, I know it was early but I wasn't hallucinating!

I've seen many things in London but never a rabbit, I thought maybe it was an escapee from the school, so I gave them a call, no they don't have any rabbits at the school.

I don't hold out much hope for it though as I've seen the peregrines in the vicinity and as for the foxes ....
Friday 28 October 2016 11.13am
As it doesn't appear to be the school pet I may check this out.
Rabbit goes well with Späetzle, or Spätzle, roasted baby carrots, and maybe a little herbed mash.
Friday 28 October 2016 10.22pm
No silly boy....pork with a bit of fat on! Seriously wonder if it was a pet and someone released it, which if it was the case is wicked. Perhaps it hitched a lift in a convenient lorry from Calais ...
Saturday 29 October 2016 10.02am
Jan the old one wrote:
No silly boy....pork with a bit of fat on! Seriously wonder if it was a pet and someone released it, which if it was the case is wicked. Perhaps it hitched a lift in a convenient lorry from Calais ...

In which case it will be un lapin.
My French relatives often cook lapin en hure, which is with herbs and vegetables.
Also lapin en paquets, pieces of rabbit, deboned and wrapped in bacon, cooked with garlic.
Lapin is often cooked in Belgian cherry flavoured beer, it's called lapin ŕ la kriek.
Don't confuse lapin with ličvre, (hare), that's often cooked with onions and shallots, called ličvre en civet.
Here endeth the French lesson.
Saturday 29 October 2016 5.43pm
Tom Pepper wrote:
Jan the old one wrote:

In which case it will be un lapin.
My French relatives often cook lapin en hure, which is with herbs and vegetables.
Also lapin en paquets, pieces of rabbit, deboned and wrapped in bacon, cooked with garlic.
Lapin is often cooked in Belgian cherry flavoured beer, it's called lapin ŕ la kriek.
Don't confuse lapin with ličvre, (hare), that's often cooked with onions and shallots, called ličvre en civet.
Here endeth the French lesson.

Tom, t'es fou!
Saturday 29 October 2016 6.27pm
Lapin en paquets....umm sounds right up my street....I only like hare when its been Jugged....( iPad kept putting in Mugged!) interesting thought!
Thursday 10 November 2016 1.28pm
Tom, the Civet de lievre recipe also includes the blood of the animal, no always easy to collect and mix in...
Every time my dad comes to the UK, he is amazed by the number of hares running around in the fields and he wanted to teach me how to catch them. No thank you...
I always see lots of them when I cycle on the Thames path, especially around Hampton Court Palace.
Friday 11 November 2016 10.08am
connie wrote:
Tom, the Civet de lievre recipe also includes the blood of the animal, no always easy to collect and mix in...
Every time my dad comes to the UK, he is amazed by the number of hares running around in the fields and he wanted to teach me how to catch them. No thank you...
I always see lots of them when I cycle on the Thames path, especially around Hampton Court Palace.

Hampton Court! Need a passport to go that far, and they'll be country hares.
The last real London hares can be found at Wimbledon dog track, Plough Lane, on electric wires, being chased by greyhounds, but you'll have to be quick, that nice Mayor Khan has sanctioned closing it by March 2017, and turning it into a football stadium.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: