Cooking tips

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7
Friday 11 June 2004 12.20pm
This is really for Tharg, but I am now wondering if any other SE1ers have similar tips for cooking or cleaning ?

I read a great tomato based cooking tip yesterday (Delia, daarling) - if you are cooking rice to go with your tomato based dish, put the stem of the tomatoes in the water with the rice (but fish it out before serving). Apparently it gives the rice a nice fresh flavour which goes very well with any tomato based cool is that ?
Friday 11 June 2004 12.25pm
Thanks for the tip, of couse it's those stems and vines that give off that wonderful aroma, I'll try it.......but Delia doesn'y have a clue how to poach an egg.......
Friday 11 June 2004 2.40pm
isn't that the bit that smells of cat pee?
Saturday 12 June 2004 9.49am
Here you go Harriet, I always loved armagnac prunes, but they're bit pricey. Almost as good: put dried prunes, apricots, sultanas etc into a clean container. Add a split vanilla pod and a bottle of brandy (the really cheap stuff from Lidl is ideal for this) and put in a cool, dark place for at least three months. You'll find that the fruit "drinks" the brandy and produces a rich syrup, add more brandy if you wish - or port (ruby port is fine). As you use the fruit, you should replace it, always adding more port or brandy. Because of the high sugar content of the dried fruit and the alcohol, it will last almost indefinitely - I have a container at home that I've kept going for five years now. The fruit can be eaten on its own, or with cream or custard; I use it as an icecream base, had it with stewed apples, and made bread and butter puddings, and it's particularly good in chocolate puddings.
Saturday 12 June 2004 7.28pm
That magic word(s)......icecream

*Best Homer Simpson impression*

Sounds fab. This weekend I am mostly practicing my flan recipes in preparation for the 21st - am trying to come up with something a bit more imaginative for the veggies - but may well give that a go soon.

Sunday 20 June 2004 10.47pm
tip from me,

when making any quiche, tart, pie or whatever, where you blind bake the pastry base, then after removing the baking beans or whatever you were using, brush the bottom of the pastry case with an egg white. stick it back in the oven for 4-5 minutes until the white has dried shiny then stick in the filling. you can't taste the egg but the pastry bottom stays perfectly crisp and no leaks!!!

mmmmmm lemon tart......gorgeous
Wednesday 11 August 2004 11.28am
A very easy, quick fruit sauce to serve with duck (wild or otherwise).
1/4 bottle Cotes du Rhone
juice of half a lemon
half a jar of good quality (high fruit to sugar ratio) morello cherry jam.
Boil the wine to reduce slightly, add the lemon juice and jam, simmer for a couple of minutes, and serve.
- It really is that easy.
Wednesday 11 August 2004 11.47am
And then take the duck bones & pop them on to boil until dinner party finished & you go to bed. Do them in the potato pan so no extra work at all. When go to bed, drain off stock. When cold place in freezer.

Next time you have duck, take bottle of wine. Reduce until it coats the back of a spoon. Add stock. Add cranberry sauce. Add salt, sugar to taste. Delicious.
Wednesday 11 August 2004 12.36pm
Keep the fat from the duck (there'll be lots) and fry or roast potatoes in it - fantastic!
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: