Statue removals

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 25 August 2017 4.07pm
For no other reason that statue removals are in the news, I offer you this.
Friends in Spring Hill FL have sent us a link to a story in the Tampa Tribune newspaper.
It carries a shot of the lawn of the Hernando County Courthouse, Brooksville FL, on which a statue of a Confederate private soldier stands.
Their accompanying email said, "What's missing from this picture?"
My wife got it in a split second, she said, "Us."
Sure enough, we have the exact same picture, but taken on October 17, 1994.
We are standing on the lawn, with the Civil War memorial behind us, having just been married by the Clerk of the Court.
Will our tenuous link with history be moved I wonder, for the suggestion is that the statue be relocated to the Ayers-Simmons Confederate cemetery in Brooksville FL.
Sunday 27 August 2017 11.03am
It may have been the Tampa Bay Tribune when you were married there Tom, but it is the Tampa Bay Times now, it changed about a year ago, check your link.
I can just see the original by-line, "London taxi driver jets in to marry bride number 2"
I'm guessing it was number 2, as it was 1994, apologies if I'm wrong.
Sunday 27 August 2017 2.36pm
Debrajoan wrote:
It may have been the Tampa Bay Tribune when you were married there Tom, but it is the Tampa Bay Times now, it changed about a year ago, check your link.
I can just see the original by-line, "London taxi driver jets in to marry bride number 2"
I'm guessing it was number 2, as it was 1994, apologies if I'm wrong.

Correct D.J., Tampa Bay Times, I must learn to read slowly.
I was so used to buying the Trib in Tampa, that I didn't look properly.
You're right, it was wedding number 2, I probably figured that as I wasn't getting any younger, and I was punching well above my weight anyway, I may as well surrender and get married for the last time.
My first wedding was in Bermondsey, June 24th. 1961, a date like December 7th. 1941, that will live in infamy, apologies to F.D.R.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: