Great idea stolen from Mrs I

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Friday 16 July 2004 9.51am
The creme of Mrs I's girls have been enjoying a reading week (mostly) in SE1. As parts of this, they have:

- hired a "blue badge" guide and had what sounds like a really interesting walking tour (lasting nearly 3 hours and covering London Bridge/Guys/the Cathedral/Marshalsea/lots more)

- booked the Chaucer Room upstairs at The Oak for a meal

Not liking to be left out when Mrs I has some fun, and knowing that there are a fair few local history gurus on this forum (as well as the many partisans of the S&KP/Stowford axis), I wondered if there was enough interest in getting a group together from here and doing something similar.

Apparently, the guide cost around 85 for 3 hrs. Split, say, 12 ways (my estimate of a decent sized group for walking and pubbing afterwards), then that might not be bad value for some local knowledge and a pleasant few hours in delightful company. They were able to specify what they wanted to cover (in terms of subject matter/specific locations), and Mrs I said the guide they had was chock full of all sorts of interesting titbits on a wide range of topics.

Anyone fancy it?

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 16 July 2004 10.42am
I'm in.
Friday 16 July 2004 10.47am
sounds good. Definitely going to need those Venn diagrams now though.
Friday 16 July 2004 10.50am
See? Didn't that teacher say they'd come in handy one day?
Friday 16 July 2004 11.33am
well they might do if I understood them.
Friday 16 July 2004 1.56pm
I've been out with the guides several times, they're great. There's a load of specific Southwark guides too, which are even better, I cant remember right now exactly what they're called but will post when I do. The tourist info place might put you in touch, but they're not always that great. Sadly, the best guide, Len Reilly form the local history library, has now left the area. There are also various already organised walks, eg. I have a program covering the whole of Sth London for the rest of the season of the various local history societies, archaeology groups etc, which are usually deeply informative but can be very 'dry'. Will try to find out where the program is obtainable if people are interested.

I (probably) wouldn't be up for the walk bit unless it was specific and in-depth, having done millions of general ones already, but would be up for the pub afterwards!
Friday 16 July 2004 2.23pm
Ivanhoe.

When you refer to Mrs I & I (I'm sure you have somewhere) is this any reference to Rastafari?
Friday 16 July 2004 2.46pm
I wonder if Haile Selassie drank c***r during his stay in Devon?
Friday 16 July 2004 2.53pm
blake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ivanhoe.
>
> When you refer to Mrs I & I (I'm sure you
> have somewhere) is this any reference to
> Rastafari?

I do like to use that specific way of saying "me and Mrs Ivanhoe" on purpose, because it has that resonance.

But I can't (and won't) lay claim to following anyone's religion. I do enough other stupid things already, without that.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 16 July 2004 4.25pm
I'm in too!
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: