Golf advice please!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
rm
Monday 19 July 2004 3.00pm
Does anyone know anything about golf? It's my little brother's 21st and he wants a set of golf clubs - i.e. a starter set..

Can anyone recommend a brand?

Monday 19 July 2004 3.15pm
I would recommend that you pay a visit to Decathlon in Surrey Quays, as they have a pretty good selection of starter clubs, ranging from cheap and cheerful to more the more advanced, and the sales team there are very helpful too.

rm
Monday 19 July 2004 3.16pm
can you recommend any brands?
Monday 19 July 2004 4.12pm
I was once given some rather good advice about golf but I suspect that it's not really for these pages. Each to one's own I suppose. Good luck!
Monday 19 July 2004 4.32pm
I purchased the Inesis Complete Dual Set, which was £150 or so.
rm
Monday 19 July 2004 4.41pm
blake -

if your advice is anything like mine would be - I agree!

stevenl - thanks
Monday 19 July 2004 6.03pm
'A good walk spoiled.' Mark Twain.
Monday 19 July 2004 6.37pm
Advice on clubs: buy him the cheapest ones going.

If (as with many of these hobbies taken up in haste) he never plays again after August, then you'll have wasted less money and he'll not feel so bad about asking you to spend it.

However, if he really takes to it, as with many blokes and their hobbies, (and I'm not claiming personal exempt status) he'll want to spend tantalising hours buying magazines, looking on the net, going to shops, boring his friends, saving, thinking, getting bored and then spending a huge amount of his own money on whatever he thinks are the current funky clubs of the time. You really shouldn't rob him of this experience (which will probably give more satisfaction than any game of golf played).

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 20 July 2004 8.54am
Got my brother a set a while ago and as always it comes down to price and what you are looking to spend...

Wilson do very good sets and they will cater for a beginner and intermediate player... A good set that seems to sell very well (my first clubs and they were OK) is by Browning although I really believe with golf clubs you ought to buy th best you can afford (was always my father's advice and stemmed from buying my first suit!!). Hippo always do a good beginner set too...

As always the best place for golf equipment nowadays is ebay. I have bought a lot of kit from there as I like a round or two myself. You can buy complete sets of irons, with three woods and bag for a real bargain but as always look at feedback for any vendor - there is a lot of bent gear on there too... Recommendation on ebay would be something like this from a vendor as listed... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1519&item=3689451962&rd=1

And would always advise 'oversize' for beginners...!!!

Best of luck anyway and if you need any more help let me know.

Bien jouƩ...

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 20 July 2004 8.55am by Ruck & Maul.
Tuesday 20 July 2004 9.40am
'bent'

As in 'hot' or 'not straight'?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: