Jesus' blood never failed me yet

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 20 July 2004 1.00pm
Are you familiar with this piece of music by Gavin Bryars? I believe the recording of the tramp originated in SE1. Did the tramp sing a fragment of another song, or did he make this up? If you've not heard it, then I urge you to do so, it's very powerful.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 20 July 2004 1.28pm by Tharg, drinker of Pervy.
Tuesday 20 July 2004 2.52pm

What a low down trick!

I had a look at this because I was sure it would be pervy-related.

I consider myself well and truly fooled.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 20 July 2004 3.05pm
I haven't drank pervy for a couple of weeks, so a lot of the other things that usually clutter my head have come to the fore.
Tuesday 20 July 2004 6.15pm
It is an extraordinarily moving bit of music.

According to the composer's own website - the original 1971 documentary was about people living rough in the area around Elephant and Castle and Waterloo Station

IMHO the original 20 or so minute version from 1975, originally issued as the B side of The Sinking of the Titanic (which I now discover was the first ever release on Brian Eno's legendary "Obscure" label) is even more affecting than the full 70 minutes of the album released a few years ago - complete with vocals by Tom Waits - but that could just be because I have never "got" Tom Waits.

I could not believe that the same composer managed to produce the absurdly overblown Dr Ox's Experiment for ENO a few years ago (oh gawd, it was 6 years ago!) - the most dispiriting first night I have ever attended.
Tuesday 20 July 2004 6.36pm
Never failed me yet
There's one thing I know
For he loves me so...

Good Grief
There's nothing worse than a sentimental lush crying in his beer.
Tuesday 20 July 2004 11.56pm
Apparently, the bloke singing the song didn't drink (been checking out Lang Rabbie's links).

Sometimes I worry I spend too much time on the internet....
Wednesday 21 July 2004 10.46am
I heard his name was "Mad Dave" and that he wasn't a drinker. And I too would like to know if he just made it up or is it a Victorian hymn or something.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: