Gib 1704 - 2004

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 4 August 2004 10.30pm
Congratulations to the plucky Brits who inhabit The Rock on the 300th birthday of Britain's greatest colony! And how despickable of those whiney party pooping hispanics to want to send them packing back to Blighty. Hrrmph! They'll be wanting California and Texas back next!

Wednesday 4 August 2004 11.59pm
....but to be serious...

I (as a citizen of the Republic of Ireland)... have been to Gibraltar...and I have to say it's a bit of a tip (somewhat similar to Andorra)...

If you want to be politically correct...listen to 'Jewel in the Crown', as recorded by Fairport Convention (Cropredy festival coming up next week!), and written by the divine Julie Matthews...

...but be glad that a country like Britain can see the irony in it all...I don't think such views would be tolerated in the U.S.
Thursday 5 August 2004 10.59am
And whilst the Spanish complain about Gib, they have their own outposts of Empire on the north side of Africa. Which is of course 'completely different'.
Thursday 5 August 2004 12.52pm

Blimey, I completely forgot about Ceuta and the other one (is it Mellila?)
Talk about double standards from the Spanish!!!!

Rule Brittania.
Thursday 5 August 2004 1.14pm
Spanish North Africa
also includes five other islands (with Spanish garrisons on three of them)
Friday 6 August 2004 10.27am
Oh, I see. If they've got one, then it's OK for us to have one as well.

{back to my catalogue for the Great Exhibition}

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 6 August 2004 11.24am
I suppose we could give Gibraltar to Portugal to celebrate our long standing friendship with that nation (continuous peace since 1373), and in particular the tercentenary of the Methuen Treaty of December 1703 which allowed Port wine into Britain with reduced duty charges.

Now that really would upset the Spanish!
Friday 6 August 2004 11.33am
World War 3. All started on Mr Hatts' website.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: