Cider - how much do you want to make?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Friday 13 August 2004 1.34pm
Right, I'm taking the initiative. Stand back. It may not happen again.

We need to know how many apples to get. For this, we need to know how much cider we each want to make.

Can people please add a post to this thread to show how much cider they want to make.

- use gallons
- keep it brief and factual (maybe use the other thread for queries or other general points, so we can keep this as JUST a list of quantities)

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 13 August 2004 1.35pm
30 gallons for the Ivanhoe household, please.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 13 August 2004 1.48pm
Friday 13 August 2004 1.54pm
5 gallons (which is about 23/24 litres, I hope) ?
Friday 13 August 2004 2.26pm
ten each for me and my Dad.

so, 20.
Friday 13 August 2004 2.38pm
That's half a ton already.
Friday 13 August 2004 3.07pm
15 gallons please.
Saturday 14 August 2004 9.09am
Is there a rough cost per gallon. Sorry but I am married to a Yorkshireman.
Saturday 14 August 2004 1.28pm
Hello Sarah, costings were: 50 for a press, 100 for 1/2 ton of apples, however, Ivanhoe wants to buy a ton of apples. Keith Orchard (commercial cider-maker, and friend of the SE1 cider-makers) has offered us a ton of apples, but I can't remember the price (I was smashed at the time) I've e-mailed him asking for details. We also have to take into account transport costs, Mapmaker and Blake's Father have very kindly offered us the use of a car and a VW camper van and small trailer to fetch the apples and the press, but...........the trailer isn't big enough to fetch back a ton of apples, so we still need a trailer. We would expect to get around 140 gallons from 1 ton of apples. We also have to take into account the cost of containers and brewing equipment.
As soon as I get a quote from Keith, we'll have a much better idea of cost. One thing I can promise, It will be an awful lot cheaper than buying ready-made cider.
Sunday 15 August 2004 8.45am
Many thanks.
Further question. Does a container need to be drunk within a day or two like wine, and if so what size are the containers. Again the husband is concerned at the prospect of us opening a gallon container, and then me finishing it off because it needs to be drunk.

Actually he might be worried about us opening a container and then having to invite round the cider crew to finish it off,but is too polite to say so.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: