Email Servers

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 25 August 2004 8.50am
Help.

I am trying to set up an email account for a community group. It needs to be as cheap as possible, but be able to accept a reasonable volume of material eg pictures and scanned documents without running out of space. Ideally there would be scope to put up a web site.

Whilst I am asking, is there anyone who could help create a web page. I have text and pictures but have no idea what to do next.

Wednesday 25 August 2004 11.40am
Hello,

I know just the person who could help you with your community group webpage. I have emailed him your post, so he should be in touch with you. Out of interest what is the aim of the web site going to be?

Glen

Wednesday 25 August 2004 1.37pm
Hello,

Glen just told me about your post; I'm a freelance web designer, and if this is a community group which I support, I'd be more then happy to lend you a hand setting this up on voluntary basis. Email me at michael@snowsfields.com with some more details.

Cheers,
Micky
Tuesday 14 September 2004 1.10pm
Sarah,

Yahoo! e-mail accounts are free and now come with 100mb of space - that is plenty for anyone. In addition, it has a connected 'Briefcase' (storage area) which offers another 30mb. That's loads.

Yahoo can also offer you a web-page - through their GeoCities service. It's a bit limited in terms of what you can do, but it has full tutorials. And it will put ads on your web page.

What I did when I started tinkering with web stuff is bought a book on web design using FrontPage Express (which is usually free with your PC). The book was only about a tenner - it had lots of colourful pictures in it (I was a beginner - I appreciated those things!) but it had me building and uploading whole sites in hours.

Simple and cheap tools do a good job if you're a bit artistic in using them. These consultant types will do a quick job, but it won't be cheap.

I'll post more advice here if you like...
Tuesday 14 September 2004 8.54pm
I know these "consultancy types' charge quite alot... that's how I make my living, just as plumbers and sparks charge alot... however if you could be bothered to read my post properly you would notice that I was offering my experience on a voluntary basis for a project that would benefit the community. That means I would happily work for nothing for a good cause... so please don't label me as a golddigger.

Btw if you want my advice I would avoid Yahoo for hosting a website, sure they are great for a web based email account, however their Geocities sites tend to crash if you have more than few hits on your site; there are much better alternatives.

Cheers,
Micky
Wednesday 15 September 2004 10.00am
I did read it Micky. Had I meant you I would have named you, but I didn't. I was generalising.

I had a friend who started up a website for a local college. A professional assisted her, voluntarily at first, then offered her lots of products 'cheap'. She ended up paying fair prices, but for stuff she could have got free had she looked hard enough.

Not knocking you Micky - sorry if it came across that way. Was merely speaking from experience.
Wednesday 15 September 2004 11.05pm
I tried to post something this morning but it seems to have got lost in the ether.

I am sorry I did not respond to Mikey Boys kind offer earlier, but I have been spending my free time writing two funding bids and needed to get my head round them before moving forward.

I will be in touch. We have some nice photos, taken by another kind forum member. And some good historical research conducted by a local historian. Actually we achieved our main objective of a lease for the park, partly through the fefforts of a third Forum member who had connections with the LibDem offfice in Parliament which led on to both our local MP Kate Hoey, and Simon Huges asking questions about the lease to the Church Commissioners in the House of Commons. Jai gave me a printer, and lots of other forum members have made equally useful contributions -even if has simply been to read me regular rants and offer sympathy. So it is right and fitting that the park should have a virtual presence.

One thought I had was whether the ever kind James would allow me to have a page on this website. About the park, our campaign, our ambitions, the group and so on. However, sad though I am, I would still welcome help.

Sarah

Wednesday 15 September 2004 11.05pm
I tried to post something this morning but it seems to have got lost in the ether.

I am sorry I did not respond to Mikey Boys kind offer earlier, but I have been spending my free time writing two funding bids and needed to get my head round them before moving forward.

I will be in touch. We have some nice photos, taken by another kind forum member. And some good historical research conducted by a local historian. Actually we achieved our main objective of a lease for the park, partly through the fefforts of a third Forum member who had connections with the LibDem offfice in Parliament which led on to both our local MP Kate Hoey, and Simon Huges asking questions about the lease to the Church Commissioners in the House of Commons. Jai gave me a printer, and lots of other forum members have made equally useful contributions -even if has simply been to read me regular rants and offer sympathy. So it is right and fitting that the park should have a virtual presence.

One thought I had was whether the ever kind James would allow me to have a page on this website. About the park, our campaign, our ambitions, the group and so on. However, sad though I am, I would still welcome help.

Sarah

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: