YAAAAAHAAAAARRRRR! - Advance warning.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Tuesday 7 September 2004 4.49pm
...........and sings rinky-dinky-doo!
Tuesday 7 September 2004 4.53pm
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/1159

chance for some real piracy??????????

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 7 September 2004 6.43pm
I was minded to apply for the job, recruit me crew, rename that stinking tub The Golden Behind ("Avast Behind!!") and raid Canary Wharf Waitrose, for cidery treasure, yaaarr!
Tuesday 7 September 2004 7.34pm
If you include a secondary "ice-cream" objective, I might be persuaded to join up too...
Wednesday 8 September 2004 1.12am
pirates are nonces.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 8 September 2004 1.13am by blake.
Wednesday 8 September 2004 1.12am
You want ice cream? I'll show you ice cream!
Wednesday 8 September 2004 1.16pm
Tharg drinker of pervy wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was minded to apply for the job, recruit me
> crew, rename that stinking tub The Golden Behind
> ("Avast Behind!!") and raid Canary Wharf Waitrose,
> for cidery treasure, yaaarr!

Cider at sea to reduce risk of scurvy. (can't think what good ice-cream does)

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 8 September 2004 2.02pm
At ten past one this morning I had the marvelous idea of making cider ice-cream. I'm down at Tharg Towers this weekend, I shall lock myself and Igor (my man servant) in the lab, and we can try a few ideas. I'll bring the results to a future social, although not Igor..........he's not very good with strangers. It was around one o'clock that I noticed that the estimable Mr. Blake was also on-line (we'd earlier been to The Wheatsheaf, and got fairly refreshed) soon we were running riot through the various threads dispensing much wit and wisdom, until about 1:30, when this mysterious message appeared:
FORUM CLOSED CIDER ALERT - YOU'VE HAD TOO MUCH CIDER. PLEASE GO TO BED.
Blimey modern technology! Isn't it wonderful? It must have smelled the fumes!!
I believe we're due an upgrade, I dare say that the next version would be able to tell you that it was a French, single varietal cider: Duche de Longueville, Cidre de recoltant,
made from "Gros Ĺ’illet" apples, that we had as a night-cap, that did the damage. You can get this stuff from Sainsbury's.
In the meantime, many, many apologies to James, we abused your hospitality, and we were neither big nor clever, and you had a lot of deleting to do. Sorry.
Wednesday 8 September 2004 2.10pm
Ivanhoe wrote:

> Cider at sea to reduce risk of scurvy.

I think the fighting abiltiies of your pirate crew might be alarmingly reduced on the quantities needed to make any difference...

"In 1747 James Lind, a young naval surgeon with England's coastal fleet, conducted a controlled experiment aboard the HMS Salisbury. He administered six of the most frequently prescribed scurvy "remedies" to a selected group of suffering sailors: two men drank a quart of cider a day; two gargled elixir of vitriol (a strong acid); two got spoonfuls of vinegar; two downed seawater; two ate oranges and lemons; and two ate a paste made of balsam, garlic, Mustard seed, myrrh, and radish root, all washed down with barley water. Lind carefully recorded the results. The citrus eaters, of course, made a full recovery; the cider drinkers showed a slight improvement (cider, according to a table at the back of Bown's book, contains a trace of vitamin C). The other sailors showed no improvement at all. Lind's findings were borne out a decade and a half later on the round-the-world voyages of Captain James Cook, who kept his men virtually scurvy-free by providing a regular diet of fresh fruits and vegetables."

Scurvy: How a Surgeon, a Mariner, and a Gentleman Solved the Greatest Medical Mystery of the Age of Sail
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1134/is_2_113/ai_113896687

Wednesday 8 September 2004 2.14pm
What would you rather do? Suck lemons or drink cider?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network