eBay aficionados

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 24 October 2004 2.05pm
I just logged on to check a pair of eBay candlesticks were still going at a 'bargain' price.
I'm going to place a bid at the last minute as they will go quite nicely with my other 9 pairs!
I'll have a clearout at christmas by giving everyone a pair -- all bought at knockdown prices.
I wander round Bermondsey antique market to get an idea of prices and you can grab a real
bargain on eBay if you bide your time. And remember, sooner or later the same or similiar items
will turn up again and again so don't buy unless it's a clear bargain taking postage into account.

Click the PLAY button on this for a laugh -----> ebay junk
Sunday 24 October 2004 4.28pm
I don't believe it. I was watching the Blue Planet on BBC1 and forgot the time. Missed item by 3 minutes.
Sunday 24 October 2004 8.21pm
Been there, missed that...

And that's why some bright person invented the sniping services: I use auctionstealer.com, and bidnapper.com does a similar job (many others too). Place your highest bid when you are still thinking about it (before telly, pub or telephone distract you at the crucial moment), and then 10 seconds before it closes, POW, in goes your bid with little time to get outbid. And if you are, it's for more money than you wanted to spend anyway. Got a lovely deco style desk last week, and we were out at the movies at the time.

There is a debate over how 'fair' sniping is, which I don't quite get - anyone can bid their max anytime, sniping or not, so if it's worth the money, there's no excuse (except for insufficient funds or determination, both of which I am frequently suffering from.

Oh well, back for another look for that essential item.

Monday 25 October 2004 11.03am
I prefer to do the sniping myself - waiting until the verrrrry last few seconds - then Bam! it is yours and there is a very surprised bidder in Idaho (or wherever), or alternatively you haven't gone high enough and it is too late and you curse yourself for not going 50p higher...

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 25 October 2004 11.04am by red bus.
Monday 25 October 2004 11.08am
What happens if lots of bidders use snipping services for a single item? Meltdown?
Monday 25 October 2004 11.23am
It depends how close to the wire you're willing to go.

Auctionsniper let you set how many seconds before auction close you want your bid to go in - 10 seconds gives plenty of time for the bid to shoot across the interweb and for Ebay to register it, 5 seconds rather less and 1 or 2 seconds for the truly brave. If lots of people select 1 second, it just depends who's is the highest bid received before the auction closes.

*edited for spelling*

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 25 October 2004 11.23am by Siduhe.
Monday 25 October 2004 3.51pm

You are right it is only for the brave - how long can you wait... do you chicken out and fire in your bid with 2 mins to go or wait until it is almost too late... kind of like big game hunting for the consumer generation.
Tuesday 26 October 2004 11.46am
what annoys me is that it gives the minutes left, and after it goes to 2m, it then says 1m (ie one minute left), then it says <1m (less than one minute left!!)

Tuesday 26 October 2004 12.41pm

you really need broadband at home or at work in order to snipe - so it is a bit unfair for people on a dial-up service :o(
Sunday 31 October 2004 12.20am
check out this eBay listing, bit unusual / innovative.

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: