The end of John Peel.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 26 October 2004 3.09pm
Tuesday 26 October 2004 3.21pm
only the good die young!
Tuesday 26 October 2004 3.32pm

I feel quite sad actually - although the good news is no more Home Truths. :o)
Tuesday 26 October 2004 4.34pm
All the 30 and 40somethings amonsgt my colleagues are in a similar state of shock.

red bus wrote:
> > I feel quite sad actually - although the good
> news is no more Home Truths. :o)

I'm so glad someone else said this before me!
Tuesday 26 October 2004 4.37pm
it is sad -showing my age i know but i used to do my homework in the evenings listening to him! he will be missed (if not for home truths!)
Tuesday 26 October 2004 5.04pm
The world is a poorer place...
Tuesday 26 October 2004 10.19pm
I was shocked when I heard this today. It's so sad. I used to listen to Kid Jenson's and John Peel's programmes every night on my clock radio in the eighties. I remember the first time heard The Smiths on John Peel...
Wednesday 27 October 2004 10.46am
He was my teenage hero. In the 80s and early 90s I never missed a show. I even started taping them and keeping my favourite bits - my record budget was about 2.50 a week, so this was all stuff I could not have bought even if I could have found it. At first I just kept the music, then the bits where he rabitted on, because he was so charming. So he was the one who got me into all the music I liked and helped form my musical tastes. I only bought a Neil Young album because Kim Gordon sang "Last night I dreamt I kissed Neil Young, If I was a guy I guess it would've been fun". I bought the first pixies and the first nirvana album becuase of sessions on his show (and in the altter case the session was better)

I find it sad that adult life stops one from spending so much time listening to music - though I still do listen to my Fall albums. John was lucky to be able to devote so much time to music. Its very sad that a man who loved his family so much did not get to spend more time with them, but at least he was with his wife when he went.

And I suspect us SE1 urbanites were not meant to like Home Truths. Radio 4 always saves up the good stuff for weekdays - so you heear it when you're off sick and wish you could spend all your time listening to fascinating stuff.
Wednesday 27 October 2004 11.50am
(I liked Home Truths).

I've discovered that John Peel works as an indicator of age. The (25 ish yr old) "younger" people in my office have scarcely heard of him, being of the "Now that's what I call a ringtone" generation.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 27 October 2004 11.57am
V Sad news though in all honesty JP was actually the only saving grace of Home Truths and great man that he was, even he struggled to rise above the format.

A friend of mine recently went to an interview at a City Bank and was asked the fairly staid: ' Tell me about someone who has been a major influence on you' My friend replied 'John Peel'. Probably not what they were expecting but after a pause they both laughed.

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: