Hot buttered rum...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 11 November 2004 2.15pm
Ok, this is technically cider related - but of wider application, so I thought it deserved its own thread.

I was discussing the difficulties of catering for people working outside in the winter - sandwiches don't really give you that warm glow and things like stews or anything you need a knife and fork for are out.

Mum had some good ideas (having run a farm for 23 years), none of which I have time to put into action, I'm afraid, but she was very clear that the most vital thing to have lots of, buttered, rum.

Has anyone ever made some ? What it is like ? Will it be a good alternative to cider ?

What other hot, semi-alcoholic drinks can people recommend to keep out the cold (any mums / dads who spend every weekend watching their children run round a muddy field) ?

As a student, I watched the Melrose Sevens in -8C temperatures (colder when you took the wind into account) and I can vouch for the effectiveness of lots of Baileys and whiskey in black coffee, but I'd prefer to be sober enough to stand by the end of the day.

Thursday 11 November 2004 2.28pm
Ox-tail and guiness soup?

edited to change the falvour and spelling

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11 November 2004 2.29pm by JonR.
Thursday 11 November 2004 2.45pm
Hot buttered rum is a fine drink (although I never really got the point of the added butter unless you were supposed to imagine that you were so low on energy that it was absolutely necessary to put butter in your nice drink).

Sort of a rum version of hot whisky and lemon (only without the whisky, or the lemon, and with rum and butter instead).

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 11 November 2004 3.19pm
I enjoyed the Blackheath fireworks on Saturday sitting on a plastic bag on the wet ground, which really did not bother me because my friend had brought along a thermos flask of tea with added rum. And lots of chocolate with nuts in. Might not be conducive to hard work though.
Thursday 11 November 2004 3.20pm
(whoops! posted twice...)

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11 November 2004 3.21pm by The Unladylike Ms. Jo.
Thursday 11 November 2004 3.25pm
The "buttered" bit originally didn't refer to butter at all, but to the spoonful of molasses which was melted into the rum to sweeten it up.

The Joy of Cooking apparently describes this drink as one that "makes you see double and feel single".

Edited to say: Jac, where are you when we need you ?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11 November 2004 3.29pm by Siduhe.
Thursday 11 November 2004 3.59pm
"makes you see double and feel single"

that sounds like most alcoholic beverages when one drinks far too much of them!
Friday 12 November 2004 6.09pm
The Blake triplets are big fans of hot buttered rum.
Saturday 13 November 2004 5.51pm
........and so am I now I've had some, cheers Siduhe!
Monday 15 November 2004 9.24am
Sloe Gin. excellent stuff.

It's been a very good year for sloes this year, and now we've had a frost or two, they're ready for picking. The put them in the freezer. Then let them thaw, and prick them all over with a darning needle.

Take an empty bottle. Between one third & one half fill it with sloes. 2 ounces of sugar & top up with gin. Leave in a warm place for at least 3 months.

Not much help for the cider-making weekend, but seeing as that was last weekend... it's not much help at all!

Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: