Come on London...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 12
Friday 19 November 2004 12.25pm
Kelly and Matthew's races were exiting,

But now the real race is on.

Will it be Paris ,will it be London.

And lets hope its not a Photo Finish.

It looks like NewYork is out

It looks like Madrid is out

Moscow is faltering

Paris has slowed

COME ON LONDON MOVE YER BLOOMIN ARSE
Friday 19 November 2004 1.27pm
actually i hope Paris or anyone elso wins-I don't want to pay a fortune for facilities that neither myself or my family will ever get to use!

I think on another thread I said i would rather pay the money we will be asked to cough up towards better schools and services and that still stands

I just hope after the other evening Madrid does not get it as that may make some of the football fans who behaved so dreadfully think again
Friday 19 November 2004 1.35pm
And as James reminded us in his Blog - millions of pounds of public development money, some of which would have been invested in Lambeth and Southwark on public sports facilities, has now been unilaterally diverted to fund the London bid.

So no guarantee we will win and, if we lose, no facilities either...
Friday 19 November 2004 2.56pm

Hmm the Victor Mildrew mind set

Just as I suspected

Q Why is public support for the Madrid bid so high

A Because they saw what the Olympics did for Barcelona
Friday 19 November 2004 4.27pm
Well, I'm glad it's as simple as that, mickysalt.

Its insulting to call the above comments the 'Victor Meldrew' mind set. It's not so surprising that public support in London is lukewarm compared to Madrid. For one thing, the farce of the Dome is still fresh in our minds and Madrid has probably gained confidence from the knowledge that 70% of their infrastructure / venues are already in place in a compact site, and unlike London they have hosted Olympic qualifying events, and will host some World championship events next year. They know they can do it and they have the added benefit of the experience / expertise gained in Barcelona.
Friday 19 November 2004 4.50pm
I think it's a little harsh to dismiss me as "the Victor Meldew mindset". I respect your views, although I don't agree with them. Can't you extend me and others the same courtesy ?

As I said before, my personal preference would be to have the money spent on facilities I can actually use, rather than take the (at best) 1/5 chance that the London bid will be successful.

If we weren't bidding for the Olympics, then the LDA would have spent an additional 8 million in London this year, including projects in Lambeth and Southwark. All of that money is wasted if we don't win.

Oh, and I was interested to see you feel that public support for the bid in Madrid is so high. I wouldn't necessarily take everything you read on the BBC website / Radio 5 live as gospel.

The leader, yesterday, in the Madrid edition of "Veinte Minutos" (like the Evening Standard) was to the effect that the only good thing to come out of the trouble at the football was that it would rouse the Madrilenos out of their apathy and get them behind the bid - "anyone but London" was the headline.
Friday 19 November 2004 4.57pm
Who is Victor Meldew? I agree with Harriet- let's spend that money on useful projects and indeed, the idea of all the money wasted if London does not win, makes me sick. And for goodness sake, London Underground can't even run a rush hour on a quiet Tuesday afternoon, let alone with so many visitors for the Olympics. Let Paris do it, please.
Friday 19 November 2004 5.33pm
Not Victor Meldews but realists. This is London webite has a poll and 64% of Londoners do not want the games which i think says it all!

Friday 19 November 2004 6.10pm
There isn't a choice between heath education and the Olympics

Whether health and education are improved or not has no bearing on whether we host the Olympics or not.

Thats a falce argument

If Paris hosts the games

The four year cultural festival leading up to the games will suck all the tourist's out of London

And further damage London's credibility

If we host the games London will address all the problems of transport and the provision of top class sports facilities

As well as host the greatest sports event in the world

And bask in the four year cultural festival leading up to it.

Which will especial benefit SouthwarK
And create imaginative use of the riverside

What's the alternative

Ramble along as we are now

No thanks

Friday 19 November 2004 6.25pm
Am I missing something - who mentioned health and education ?

I appreciate healthy debate, but I don't like people twisting my words and attributing things to me that I haven't said.

FAD: The projects I am referring to are public sports and leisure facilities. James' Blog has a link to the LDA site and an article in the Independent which gives all the details.

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 19 November 2004 6.32pm by Siduhe.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: