Pig's milk

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Tuesday 23 November 2004 2.54pm
Does anyone know why we don't use pig's milk?

Cows, goats and sheep all seem to be fair game, but why don't we have pig cheese?

[Serious question, honestly - references to Rebecca Loos not welcomed]

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 23 November 2004 3.09pm
Apparently it's not feasible to milk, breed, farrow and remove the baby pigs to milk the sow.

I guess they have very small teats too, so it'd be virtually impossible to milk a sow either by hand or machine.

According to internet sources, people who have tried to milk sows have only got a pitifully poor amount from each.

Reminds me of Lee & Herring, where Herring tried a different animal's milk each week - "this week - sasquatch milk!"
Anonymous User
Tuesday 23 November 2004 3.30pm
Standing in the queue in Tesco the other week I spied bottles of Cat Milk!

How I laughed when I realised it was infact not expressed feline milk but merely cows milk treated so as not to upset cat tummies!
Tuesday 23 November 2004 3.51pm
I seem to remember one of our crew quite keen on the idea of giving it a go down at the farm on the cider weekend. I'm not going to say who to protect his identities.
Tuesday 23 November 2004 4.15pm

Lee and Herring's show was great (or was it just on when i got back from the pub) - what ever happened?
Tuesday 23 November 2004 5.34pm
bloke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I seem to remember one of our crew quite keen on
> the idea of giving it a go down at the farm on the
> cider weekend. I'm not going to say who to
> protect his identities.

As the original "him" to post with multiple identities, bloke(blake/biro), are you protesting a bit too much??

Tuesday 23 November 2004 6.04pm
what Ivanhoe housemartin/manilow or tharg/ex cathy aren't men of many identities? Too much protesting on all sides methinks...
Wednesday 24 November 2004 8.56am
red bus - probably a combination of the both...it was great, but it was also repeated at about 11.30pm on a Friday!!! Might have been the beer goggles then!
Wednesday 24 November 2004 12.00pm
just to get back to the topic for a second, horse's milk seems to be another interesting flavour:

"Horse milk could soon be coming to a doorstep near you after demand for the nutritionally rich product has surged across mainland Europe."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/11/21/whorse21.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/11/21/ixworld.html

Apparently they are a bit scarier when it comes to kicking out as they are milked though...

Mark.
Wednesday 24 November 2004 12.10pm
Great find Mark.

I'm no animal expert, but can't remember seeing a horse with prominent udders (happy to be corrected). If you can milk a horse, why not a pig?

[Esp. as the only pigs I've seen nursing do it lying down, thus, I imagine, making them easier to get to than a horse, and with less risk of the milker getting kicked]

Can I suggest that we try to start off an "if you press it.." phenomenon by popping into Neal's Yard Dairy the next time you're around and asking for pig's cheese? I reckon that it would only need a small critical mass before we see Fay Maschler campaigning for it in the Std.

Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: