Shop selling a Potato Ricer?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Wednesday 24 November 2004 2.56pm
Any ideas? John Lewis maybe?

(Sausage and mash here I come - just has to be done now I've got Borough market up the road.)
Wednesday 24 November 2004 3.08pm
Debenhams - oxford st.
Wednesday 24 November 2004 4.07pm
Just tried phoning Debenhams - sadly no.
Wednesday 24 November 2004 4.26pm
But the saintly Delia says:

What I think you don't need

Because space is at a premium in any kitchen and everyone has some item of equipment that lurks unused, taking up precious space, now might be a good time to talk about what not to put on that wedding list.

Potato ricer - Because the potatoes get cold, and anyway, an electric hand whisk makes a better job of mashed potatoes.

Asparagus steamer - Why give it house room when an ordinary steamer does the job perfectly?

Fish kettle - Cooking fish slowly in kitchen foil produces moister flesh than poaching and the flavour isn't all going into the water.

Canelle knife - Because a good potato peeler does the same job.

Piping bags - Simply because life is too short.

Ceramic baking beans - Thankfully, I have pioneered a way to pre-bake a crisp pastry case without them
Wednesday 24 November 2004 4.30pm
what's wrong with an ordinary potato masher!
Wednesday 24 November 2004 4.33pm
An electric hand whick is great if you want what I would call creamed potatoes - it breaks down the structure of the potatoes very fast and so unless you are very careful you are likely to get quite a runny result. Some people like this (i do not).

For perfect mashed tatties - a wooden spoon is the best - unless you put too much into the bowl it doesn't require too much elbow grease and although there will be a few lumps, you get a great sticky, comforting consistency which you can pile high on the plate (yum yum).

enjoy.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 24 November 2004 4.33pm by red bus.
Wednesday 24 November 2004 5.31pm
If you have a ricer, when you use it and serve the product to your friends and loved ones, do you say: "How do you like your riced potatoes?"

[IMO it's a daft name for a daft product, but if you really want one I'd go to J Lewis' or to somewhere that does stuff for pro cooks. There's a shop on the opposite end of Shaftesbury Ave to Picadilly - the Cov Gdn end, but I can't remember what it's called. My fanatical cooking friend always used to go there when we lived in SE1. Good luck]

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 24 November 2004 8.01pm
Last time I visited, John Lewis had two different ones. One affordable; the other top quality with a price label to match. Look in their basement on their wall display next to ovenwares.
Wednesday 24 November 2004 8.11pm
(Embarrassed to admit I've even been there but...) Harrods have a very good kitchen dept which has potato ricers ('tho I'm with Delia on this one) they also do grapefruit spoons and little corn on the cob forks both of which I have found hard to find in the past.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: