Skoda

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 1 December 2004 9.48am
Can anyone advise me what to do when a car I have had only a week starts to rev. without my foot any where near it?

It's a Skoda Elegance estate, three years old and purchased with a years warranty, supposedly thoroughly checked out before I collected it from the Clockhouse Garage in Derby. When I phoned and told them about the fault they said it was because I had only had a short drive and came out with some techno stuff that I did not understand. It happened again last night ( after a very long drive!) and so I called the A.A. who said they could not help as the fault was not happening right there and then. I have booked it into a Skoda garage down here, they can not do it till next week, if I have a crash the car goes into the vehicle in front, technically I would be at fault., or myself and others injured..

Where could I go for technical impartial advice that wont cost too much? Has any one else had this problem?

I think I should go to night school for car mechanics for females so when garages talk about technical aspects of cars I'll understand!

Wednesday 1 December 2004 10.57am
Take it back to where you bought it and demand they do something, and if they give you any more c**p, threaten them with trading standards.
Wednesday 1 December 2004 11.07am
No.........I don't think Trading Standards can be applied to a Skoda
Wednesday 1 December 2004 11.30am
Yes. I bet people who drive them spend less than 5 on a bottle of (New World) wine.

[chow. the above is a reference to a stunningly snobbish comment in an earlier thread and nothing to do with you. ]

given that the garage is so far away and you probably don't want to drive your dodgy car all the way to derby to argue with them, why not try phoning for that explanation again and asking them firmly and politely to explain the fault in simple terms. if they can't do that, then either they are no kind of competent mechanic (in which case Trading Stds would be an excellent place for you to start) or they're trying to fob you off (Trdg Stds again). cars (like everything these days) have lots of bits with funny names that sound daunting, but if someone understands something (like a mechanic should understand cars) then they should be capable of explaining it in simple terms/similes. don't be put off. asking for a simple explanation is not a crime. as a tactic, I find it works v well. good luck

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 1 December 2004 12.04pm
Ivanhoe, I drive a Skoda and I certainly wouldn't spend more than 5 quid on a bottle of New World wine
Wednesday 1 December 2004 12.12pm
Ha ha!
Wednesday 1 December 2004 1.14pm
zcars Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ivanhoe, I drive a Skoda and I certainly wouldn't
> spend more than 5 quid on a bottle of New World
> wine

Help me. Am I supposed to congratulate you, or is there something in your message that is in fact a coded reply to the original question about cars? I'm obviously not at my sharpest today, so I beg your patient indulgence.

Wednesday 1 December 2004 1.43pm
Just commenting that you are right about us Skoda drivers and our reluctance to pay over 5 quid. No codes
Wednesday 1 December 2004 2.40pm
In that case, I think you've wandered into something by mistake. Apologise if any of the foregoing seemed odd.

Wednesday 1 December 2004 2.51pm
......makes mental note "must remember to use 'TFIC' more often"
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: