Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 3 December 2004 11.04am
Tough one this because it is so so subjective HOWEVER on a day off earlier this week I decided to visit the Tate Modern.

Made sure I looked at as much as I possibly could and left quite bewildered. Personally (and I do reiterate that art is purely subjective before a barrage) I felt that some of the 'art' being housed there could have been created by my seven year old niece...

Also some of the 'art' there was 'explained' to visitors with a plaque next to it... How a few turd-sized pieces of iron arranged in a circular pattern alongside a largere triangular piece can evoke the artist's obsession with death and mortality is beyond me... Do they just make it all up...?

I have been to galleries in the past and can appreciate what floats other people's boats but come on... crazy, crazy, crazy...!! Loved this one though (along with lots others...

Friday 3 December 2004 11.09am
the breakfasts in the cafe are nice!
Friday 3 December 2004 12.32pm
Well, if it provoked a reaction, then 'Art' has done its job!

There are some bits there I don't get, but I'm drawn to them...same for you - that Nevinson pic does nothing for me, so there must be something in you that's not in me, and something in the artist who think's his turdy iron represents mortality...but if we were all the same this'd be a boring world!
Friday 3 December 2004 2.06pm
ruck and maul,

are you referring to that seminal (and I choose that word carefully) work "stag caught in lightning" by Joseph Beuys?

If so, I'd probably rate it just as "highly" as you. However, I now make a point of visiting it when in the gallery as it cheers me up no end and encourages me to think that we could all be famous artists if we had the lucky breaks.

...if you press it, they will come.
Anonymous User
Friday 3 December 2004 2.57pm
SirPsycho Wrote:
> Well, if it provoked a reaction, then 'Art' has
> done its job!

Does that make the Pizza Vending Machine in The Cut art?

Friday 3 December 2004 3.39pm
Lightning with Stag in its Glare

Lent by the Daros Collection 2000

"The suspended triangle represents a bolt of lightning, which illuminates a group of half-formed creatures. The stag of the title, originally made from wood and an ironing-board, is cast in aluminium to suggest the brightness of the lightning. The bronze cart represents a goat; while the scattered lumps are primitive animals. A compass, mounted on a stand, points to magnetic north, reflecting Beuys's concern with invisible natural energies. The sculpture started life as an installation for a 1982 exhibition in Berlin. Beuys defiantly heaped up a giant mound of clay, equal to the height of the nearby Berlin Wall. He later took a iangular (sic) cross-section of the mound and cast it in bronze, to become the lightning flash. "
Anonymous User
Friday 3 December 2004 3.47pm
Lang Rabbie - I think you're teasing! Surely so much thought didn't go into the design of a simple pizza vending machine??
Friday 3 December 2004 4.26pm

The overall rectilinear form of the piece surely refers to those conventions of western culture from which it seeks to break free - the picture frame, the city grid, the family dining table...

The background illumination of the left hand panel is a direct homage to "classic" pop art of the 1960s. The inspired text "Fresh and Hot in 90 seconds!", with its erotic suggestion, and the canny use of supergraphics surely rivals Richard Hamilton in its inspired creation of a sexy "preudo-Americana"

Is this critic alone in seeing the choice of fluorescent backlighting to the panel as an indication that this ostensibly "maximalist" work is in fact deeply indepted to the trail blazed by earlier minimalists such as Dan Flavin - and that it's creator desires us at the same time to be aware of this self-awareness.

By contrast the organic form of the cast metal, cruelly pierced by a series of orifices - as suggestive as the work of Louise Bourgeois - betoken some unknown creative/reproductive process within. These wounds in the body of the beast, through which the "observer as consumer" engages in the integral and essential performance element of this work are secret places.

One is faced with the same challenge as when confronted by the ancient Bocca della Verità in the narthex of Sta Maria di Cosmedin - dare one place one's hand in this yawning maw?
The anonymous artist refers ambiguously to the largest of these penetrations as "the vending slot" - a reference to the commodification of food, flesh and time in the early 21st century?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 3 December 2004 4.27pm by Lang Rabbie.
Friday 3 December 2004 6.19pm
You can laugh, I became fascinated by this kind of street furniture a few years back, and went out of my way to record it. As a consequence, there are examples of my work in a couple of major collections.
Friday 3 December 2004 8.10pm
Lang Rabbie - brilliant!

The best thing on the Forum, of all its 28,000-odd posts.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: