does it grow trees now?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Thursday 16 December 2004 11.50am
Having heard that people are tossing one/twopenny pieces away because they only 'clog' pockets and purses up , it still cam as a shock to see loads of Bacon's pupils casually throwing their coppers away at Canada Water station, I wonder if their parents realise the money they give ends up in the gutter.

If I could have got down with ease and dignity I would have collected enough to pay for a ticket, next time I am going to stick blue tack on the end of my walking cane!

where is the dodgy ' charity collector' ? better there I think!
Thursday 16 December 2004 11.55am
I throw mine away Jan, but I throw it into a big saucer and every so often I take it to a supermarket where they have a great machine that counts it all up and gives me the money (less a bit of "commission"), which I then spend on something totally frivolous (champagne is a favourite).

Must confess, though, I used to love taking handfuls of pennies and dropping them "accidentally" one by one whilst walking down busy thoroughfares (Hungerford Bridge was a favourite when I used to work in town). It can cause an amusing and harmless chaos.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 16 December 2004 12.21pm
Modern 'coppers' are in fact copper-plated steel. (The Bank of England was having to pay more than 1p to make a 1p piece, so changed the recipe in the early 1990s, iirc.) Therefore a magnet would enable you to pick up about one third of these coins. You may find you end up picking up the rails as well.

Shame on you, Ivanhoe. I always pick up copper coins as doing so helps to keep inflation down, which is a public duty for a responsible Subject.
Thursday 16 December 2004 12.23pm
a chap I work with has OCD, and occaisionally he gets into a situation whereby he can't put his change into a pocket (it's contaminted) so he just drops it on the street. The other morning he came in and said that the tramps would be happy, because the coffee and bagel that he'd brought had to be ditched in a bin, because it had become contaminated (?!). Once he left a 20 note on top of a toilet cistern in a pub because he just couldn't cope with it, and the toilets had run out of soap (so he couldn't cleanse, and reinstate).

I put all my spare coppers in a big jar (I've got quite a lot now, but don't know what to do with it)

[edit] ...and picking up a coin, gives you good luck all day! [/edit]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 16 December 2004 12.31pm by JonR.
Thursday 16 December 2004 12.47pm
Ivanhoe - I need a map of your route! and a magnet.....I remember when 50p's came out, the stall holders down East Lane used to superglue them to the pavement.....
Thursday 16 December 2004 1.04pm
Mapmaker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Shame on you, Ivanhoe. I always pick up copper
> coins as doing so helps to keep inflation down,
> which is a public duty for a responsible Subject.

A lapsed economist writes:

Only if you believe in the Quantity Theory of Money,

This should be distinguished from the tautological Fisher Identity, (although Fisher himself believed in the quantity theory)

"M.V = P.T

M = stock of money in coins, banknotes, current-account bank deposits and other credit instruments

V = velocity of circulation; average annual turnover of a unit of circulating money effecting exchanges within the market in the course of a given year.

P = level of prices, expressed in a price index

T = the volume of monetary transactions that have been effected in same time period."

Although AFAIK no one has ever successfully managed to measure V intuitively if people are leaving coppers unspent/chucking them into canals, then the velocity must be reduced.
Thursday 16 December 2004 1.15pm
Jan the old one Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ivanhoe - I need a map of your route! and a
> magnet.....

Not nowadays Jan. Now you need to know where I live and where my change saucer lives!

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 16 December 2004 1.54pm
I know that Jan! I can tell you for a percentage cut!
Thursday 16 December 2004 2.29pm
no problem.....now where's me abacus!
Thursday 16 December 2004 2.37pm
abacus??!!?!

what's that
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: