Mongolian BBQ

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Monday 20 December 2004 10.39am
Does anyone know if there's still a Mongolian Barbeque in Covent Garden?
Monday 20 December 2004 11.06am
Apparently, it's recently reopened. If you go to their website, there's a voucher you can print off for a free bottle of wine.
Monday 20 December 2004 11.40am
Ta muchly. I used to work in one, and wondered if any were still open. My other half can't quite grasp my explanation of what happens in a trip might be necessary - even though the food ain't that great...
Monday 20 December 2004 12.45pm
I noticed the Mongolian Barbecue in Covent Garden last week - definitely open, and instantly brought back fond memories of the one on Lavender Hill. A fun evening, especially if you have hard-to-entertain relatives/friends with you... And just round the corner from the utterly divine Paul french patisserie with easily the best hot chocolate anywhere (even better than Konditor and Cook, and that's luuuuurvely...).

I really should keep off this topic around clingfilmed sandwiches just lost most of their appeal :-(

Tuesday 21 December 2004 10.31am
Are Mongolian BBQs run by real Mongolians? As TUMJ can confirm, a junior member of my family is taken with all things Mongolian. Yet there is not much out there. I have found a week-long package holiday to Ulam Bator where you can train to be a Mongol Warrier, and said boy is saving hard. But its going to take him a while. Covent Garden might be the next best thing. Where is it?

Does anyone know of any other Mongol collections or activities in London. Ideally relating to Ghengis Khan. A Mongol cider-making circle would be perfect.
Tuesday 21 December 2004 1.03pm
Mongolian BBQs are not run by real Mongolians - although I did actually work with a real Mongolian at the one I worked in. Nice bloke, but very quiet...bit of a disappointment for the punters...

The Mongolian link comes from the story that the Kublai Khan used to lead his tribes into battle, and following victory they would hunt and cook the meat on their upturned shields, suspended over a fire. I would imagine they didn't have access to the wafer thin meat, fresh vegetables, sauces, herbs and spices that the Mongolian BBQ (a US based franchise) offers...
Tuesday 21 December 2004 1.08pm
I thought the Mongols 'cooked' their meat by slicing it and then putting it under their saddles as they rode into battle. Steak Tartar.
Tuesday 21 December 2004 1.12pm
And I would imagine "Mongolian cider" is made with fermented mare's milk.
Tuesday 21 December 2004 3.45pm
Yes, you have to spit in it to ferment it! Will stick to SE1der I think!
Tuesday 21 December 2004 3.53pm
Stan Wrote:
> And I would imagine "Mongolian cider" is made with
> fermented mare's milk.

No mammal is safe from being exploited for milk (HOORAY!). Expect Mongolian Blue to appear at Neal's Yard Dairies anytime soon.

[sarah - i remember buttermaking being a fun thing to do when little, and you only need a jar or flask and some milk. would this make a fun holiday activity for young would-be mongols if you imagined that the jogging around of the flask was caused by your horse as you galloped across the steppes?]

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: