Muscle question...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 14 January 2005 11.40am
I have been led to believe that when your muscles are aching, it's because they are repairing, and they tend to mend bigger and stronger - hence exercise=aches=big muscles.

Am I understanding it right?
Friday 14 January 2005 2.55pm
If you experience aching for more than a few minutes immediately after exercising, you are doing something wrong

However, if you start to ache several hours after exercise (and possibly up to two days after) this is fairly common, particularly if you haven't exercised that muscle group for some time. It can be grandly medicalised as "Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness" or "Post Exercise Muscle Stiffness".

http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1999/01_99/muscle.htm

Friday 14 January 2005 4.26pm
is this a new years resolution bulk up plan?
Monday 17 January 2005 9.25am
Lol - no, just a toning plan - but I'm aching anyway! Just wanted to know if I can expect this every week...but it seems I might be high and dry now...
Monday 17 January 2005 12.25pm
no you're not... you'll probably ache every week! I go to a class almost every week, and have done for 7 years - and although the 2 day ache's not as bad as it was to start with, it's still there. It's worse if I've worked very hard in that class, but conversely, not as bad if I've been to the gym a couple of times in the week. So the answer must be often and regular and them you'll only ache a little...
Monday 17 January 2005 12.58pm
Well - I intend to attend the gym 3 times a week, then play squash/tennis, and swim on top of that! So hopefully, aches will be minimal if I keep working it!
Monday 17 January 2005 1.33pm
During excercise the muscles require extra energy to perform. This energy is released by the breakdown of ATP molecules, however, this breakdown also produces H+ ions as a by product and this causes the pH of the fluid bathing the muscles to become more acid and therefore causes the muscle to ache. As we get fitter the blood supply to the various muscle groups becomes more dilated enabling these H+ions to be removed from the area quicker and therefore we do not experience the ache. At this point exercise can be increased to induce muscle ache leading to an increased level of fitness.

Hope that helps

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 17 January 2005 1.34pm by bmovie.
Monday 17 January 2005 1.43pm
I knew my H+ ions must have something to do with it...those little H+ devils have been getting away with doing nothing for so long.

That does help - thank you. It seems to be one of a million different theories, but I'm happy with them all. The bottom line for me is that it won't be so bad eventually...I'm happy with that!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: