David Peace books - thank you

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 15 January 2005 11.39am
I just want to say thanks to whoever it was who recommended the 1970, 74, etc series of books by David Peace on this board a while ago.

I bought and read the Yorkshire Quartet, and found them challenging and enjoyable reads. I've also read his newer book (about the miners' strike) GB84, which IMO is more accomplished still (and has less scenes of graphic violence, which makes it easier for comfortable middle class readers like me to stomach).

Thanks

...if you press it, they will come.
Saturday 15 January 2005 12.03pm
You have David M Anderson to thank:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/24501
Saturday 15 January 2005 12.13pm
Thank you Rabbie and David M. Copies of the above books are available from the Ivanhoe friendly lending library, subject to asking Mrs I if she wants first dibs on them.

...if you press it, they will come.
Sunday 16 January 2005 11.18am
I'm glad you enjoyed them. I found them addictive - a drug that makes you feel bad and good at the same time.

I've just got a copy of GB84in the Foyles sale - for 4 - I'm going to save it up for a bit.

I'm currently on Jonathan Coe - "The Closed circle" (half price hardback at waterstones) which is a gentler read with a lot of jokes about Blair's Britain.

I'd unreservedly recomend "House of Sleep" or "What a Carve Up!" by Coe - especially the latter - reflections on Thatcher's Britain.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: