Prescott and Developments

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 2 February 2005 7.46am
Prescott's House of Cards, and article in today 's(Weds) Times should be compulsory reading for all of us in this area who are horrified by the mindless planning going on in our area....it puts ALL the points we are discussing on this site. WHAT CAN WE DO???? There must be some way we can make our feelings of being concreted over with tall towers of miserable little boxes of mediocre standard and poor environmental quality. Should we march, or sit in, or WHAT?
Wednesday 2 February 2005 5.10pm
http://property.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly/0,,2080-13629-1467101-13629,00.html

>The all-party Commons Environmental Audit Committee reported this week: “The environmental impacts of the proposed increase in house building deserve much greater consideration than they have yet received from Government . . . There is a serious risk that, as matters stand, the principal beneficiaries of housing growth will be property development companies, while the principal loser will be the environment.”

>Mr Prescott's plans, in line with an earlier report by the economist Kate Barker upon which they lean, relegate environmental considerations to the whim of the market. The Barker review, said the Environmental Audit Committee, represents a direct attack on the principles of a democratic planning system. The Environment Minister admitted to the MPs that Ms Barker “could perhaps have given a bit more attention to the environmental and sustainable aspects”.

Wednesday 2 February 2005 6.25pm
Don't you just despise the pathetic tone of the language used - from the Environment Minister particularly - for 'could' read 'SHOULD have given more attention to the environmental....aspects', and it's not 'a serious risk' that 'the principal beneficiaries ....will be property development companies' - it's a FACT and happening now!

apologies for shouting
Wednesday 2 February 2005 6.35pm
Dont apologise, just shout LOUDER. We are sitting helplessly by while these big guys bulldoze us (literally and metaphorically) into complying with their statistics so that they can brag to the greater electorate about what good chaps they are....where can we make our voice heard, and not just heard but listened to?? I find myself shouting at interminable forums, writing and sending missives hither and yon, but who's going to listen? They just think I'm some sort of cranky little old lady with not enough to do or something. (The only part of that which does apply is the old bit, otherwise I have masses to do and probably am a bit of a crank but I just get so inflamed about this it drives me insane).

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: