large items not collected by dustmen...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 11 February 2005 10.09am
My dustmen must have had an off day on Monday, they left a broken household mop that I had left outside with my modest pile of rubbish....so now I am going to have to phone and arrange a large item collection...lmao..+
Saturday 12 February 2005 8.26am
Jan,
My experience of large item collection is that it does not happen. Easiest thing is to simply load the item into a car and take it to the dump. Though coughing and spluttering, I am free on Sunday and could pick the offending item up. This would give me the opportuntiy to boast that I had met Jan the Old One and to provide some, not necessarily accurate, descriptions.

Sarah
Saturday 12 February 2005 12.00pm
Why not bag the head and keep the handle. You can always get a mophead from the elephant
and don't wet it. Just use it for buffing up the floor. I bought a gallon of Jangr heavy duty floor polish
from a shop in Snowsfields - now closed - and after applying it to the hall, kitchen and bathroom
floors on my hands and knees, when it's dry I buff it up with a dry fluffy mop. Beauitful shine.
Saturday 12 February 2005 1.32pm
Sarah,

Haven't you realised yet? Jan is Cathy.

...if you press it, they will come.
Sunday 13 February 2005 9.17am
Good. Cathy is nice.

But who is Phoney? A Blake quadruptlet?
Monday 14 February 2005 9.56am
Bless you Sarah...when I came back from my daughters yesterday the offending mop was gone, having read this post now I wonder if it was you!

But Ivanhoe, who is this poor Cathy who you have lumbered with the title of Jan the Old One?

Phoney...it was one of these plastic and metal things that had gone rusty with lack of use...
Friday 18 February 2005 4.22pm
Can I just say, in defence of Southwark Council's bulky items removal, that I recently arranged for them to collect an old mattress.

The whole experience of arranging the appointment was totally painless - I sent them an email, they replied 24 hours later with a date (in 10 days time).

Having seen this thread, I was a little nervous, to say the least about the chances of it actually being collected, but lo and behold, not only did they turn up on the day and remove the mattress, but also two other bulky items in our bin store that our regular dustmen wouldn't take and the owners hadn't bothered to arrange collection of.

Either I'm very lucky, or the service is improving...
Friday 18 February 2005 4.45pm
Thats good service Siduhe, but the thing is a broken mop handle approximately forty four inches long, , 4-5 inches in diameter is hardly bulk refuse! and could be easier tossed into the back of the dust-cart than a bag of rubbish I imagine....p.s. ( sorry cant get the hang of metric!)...:-)
Friday 18 February 2005 4.54pm
4 or 5 inches in diameter is a bit thick for a broom handle isn't it?!
Friday 18 February 2005 5.04pm
Jan,

I quite agree ! It was more to those who said that the bulky items service didn't usually happen.

Our dustmen are also getting very picky about what they will and will not take away - I noticed they'd left some cardboard boxes last week which someone had helpfully broken down into flat pack. Not exactly heavy or bulky.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: