Recycling useful things

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 14 February 2005 2.42pm
Hidden under the Piano topic I mentioned freecycle.org - a yahoo newsgroup and thought it worth highlighting in its own topic. The group gives you the opportunity to give/receive unwanted, but workable items, that it seems criminal taking to the dump. Lots of charities/community groups subscribe, even theatre groups looking for weird props. You join up, advertise your want/offer and usually stipulate it must be collected and before you know it, it's got a new home. Only downside is lots of extra emails each day.
Monday 14 February 2005 3.01pm
Though if it's a Yahoo! Group then there will be a daily digest option, or you can read the messages on the web.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 15 February 2005 12.22am
I've joined and its fab. Its like the cyberspace version of getting things out of skips (my flat is furnished and equipped out of skips - now I can move into the 21st century and use freecycle instead). The piano has gone though.
Tuesday 15 February 2005 11.27am
I joined too, though I think I'll be using it to get rid of stuff rather than obtaining stuff.
Tuesday 15 February 2005 12.15pm
I was planning to do a bit of both. Hey James, what about a 'freecycle forum' for London SE1, as a precursor to the long-awaited classified section?
Friday 18 February 2005 1.25pm
For anyone interested, there was a piece on R4 You and Yours about freecycle on Weds I think. Anyway, this is the link
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/youandyours/index_20050216.shtml
Friday 18 February 2005 8.58pm
yes, and ever since, I've been receiving something like 50 emails a day from them.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: