What to use to clean an iron soleplate?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 21 February 2005 4.17pm
What can I use to clean an iron soleplate?

I've got those typical burn stains which appear when you put the iron on too hot and then press it on a material which can't take that much heat and debris sticks to the iron plate and makes future ironing a nightmare because the iron doesn't "flow" as easily over the garments.

I would like to avoid using something which will damage the plate even more so I'm asking for advice. I used to use special wax for iron plates some time ago for cleaning these sort of things but I don't know whether I can get that here and where (didn't see anything similar on the shelves).

Much obliged.
Monday 21 February 2005 4.59pm
I'm sure Robert Dyas still stock something that looks like a Pritt stick that you melt onto the hot iron surface.

Failing that...

Monday 21 February 2005 9.46pm
I'm pretty sure John Lewis/Peter Jones sell something.
Tuesday 22 February 2005 9.04am
Damp newspaper in a wad, dipped in salt. while iron is slightly warm, worth a try before buying anything, it used to work in the days when I actually ironed, before using a tumble fryer!
Tuesday 22 February 2005 1.27pm
Isn't somebody going to say something involving vinegar?

One of my workmates had been (watching trash TV and is now) evangelising on the miraculous powers of vinegar.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 22 February 2005 1.35pm
Ivanhoe...watched a programme several years ago involving vinegar ....inspired by the chemical free way of descaling my electric kettle, poured two cups of vinegar into kettle, plus one cup of water, switched on...then watched as contents bubbled up as acetic acid was heated...very quick I can tell you...spilled over the side ..into the connector and blew the sodding thing up! ..mind you kettle was as new inside, tho unusable!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: