What's for dinner tonight?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 1 of 9
maurits Thursday 24 February 2005 1.56pm
Am not really inspired. I took a chicken out of the freezer, but am not sure what to do with it. Anyone any suggestions?

Advertisement

Anonymous User Thursday 24 February 2005 2.06pm
Make a casserole? Perfect for this weather. Infact could you nip round and make me one too? ;-)
Plum Thursday 24 February 2005 2.12pm
Oooh yes ... Coq au Vin, yummy. Mushrooms, bacon lardons, button onions, lots of red wine (you can put it in the food too if you like). Think I might do that myself. :-)
janefs Thursday 24 February 2005 2.21pm
oooh now you're living dangerously with that sort of question. However here's a straight answer -

Herby /Lemon chicken - if possible fresh herbs [thyme or tarragon and bay] Once the bird has had its first blast in the oven take it out and tuck a few sprigs / leaves of the herbs around it, and some under the skin and inside [don't put them in at the start or they will just get crisped too early]. In addition you should butter the skin and could juice a lemon over it, shoving a couple of slices under the skin and inside. Roasted on top of some chunky potatoes, that should give a fragrant result - subject ot the original quality of your bird, of course.

Before all that, make sure the chicken is defrosted thoroughly, rinse it out and dry it inside and out [or the skin won't crisp] Roast at 230C for 15mins, turn heat down to 190C - [adjust lower if you've got a fan assisted oven] make sure to baste it a couple of times. It's done when the juices run clear and let it rest for 10 mins before carving so it stays moist.....the chicken, that is.
Plum Thursday 24 February 2005 2.39pm
Sounds good janefs.
Jamie Oliver does something along similar lines with a mixture of butter, lemon juice & zest, fresh tarragon and parma ham (cut into small strips) mixed together then stuffed into the chicken between the skin & flesh prior to roasting. It's really good & works well on Poussins too for dinner party fare. Serve with some new potatoes to mop up the buttery juices.
God I'm starving!
janefs Thursday 24 February 2005 2.49pm
So am I after posting that - I'm working at home and there's only a slightly furry 'thing' nestling in the fridge and a couple of packets of exotically flavoured crisps than no-one wanted last night and it's too cold to shlep down to Sains-temporarily out of stock-burys. However there's also a couple of bottles of red wine left over, but it's a bit early for that, even for me.......
Stan Thursday 24 February 2005 3.32pm
The Blake triplets did this for me one night, swap the guinea fowl for a chicken:
1 guinea fowl
salt and freshly ground black pepper
50g/2oz butter
I red onion, finely chopped
1 large carrot, finely chopped
4 apples, peeled and cored
enough dried raisins and shelled walnuts to stuff the cored apples
caster sugar
8fl oz dry cider (don't use Strongbow, try Weston's organic or vintage dry, most supermarkets stock it.)
2 tbsp double cream
1 large glass brandy
Method
1. Season the guinea fowl inside and out with salt and pepper. Melt the butter in a roasting pan.
2. Add the onion and carrot to the pan and roast the bird, breast down on top of them, for 30 minutes. Turn the bird on to its back and add the four stuffed apples, each one sprinkled with a little caster sugar and a knob of butter.
3. Add the cider, season and return to the oven for approximately 45 mintues.
4. Now take the guinea fowl out of the oven. Place on a serving dish and keep warm, along with the four apples.
5. Over a low heat, stir the cream into the juices from the roasting pan and strain into a serving jug.
6. Slightly warm the brandy, pour it over the guinea fowl and flame it. As the flames die down, pour over the sauce.
maurits Thursday 24 February 2005 3.39pm
Thanks for all that- exactly what I needed. Am gonna go for Stan's idea. Any ideas for pudding?
Lang Rabbie Thursday 24 February 2005 5.19pm
Stan

Are you hoping for even more creative reports on improvisations on this recipe than last time...

Originally posted by Stan/Tharg
>"I was thoroughly entertained to hear Roadrunner's account of how he'd tried Blake's guinea fowl recipe (I'd also forgotten that Blake had called it, "chicken with an apple up it"). Mr and Mrs Roadrunner said it was delicious, even though they'd improvised a fair bit. Instead of guinea fowl, they'd used a couple of pousins; they didn't use red onions either, they used shallots; neither did they use cider, they used red wine; and they didn't have cream or walnuts. "

>"This recipe is obviously so good, it would seem that you can substitute or omit any ingredient, and still produce excellent results. I might give it a go with kippers, chocolate buttons and Tia Maria."
Stan Thursday 24 February 2005 6.17pm
Well spotted Rabbie, it is the very same (highly adaptable) recipe - it's been tried with partridges, pheasants etc with geat success - with or without any variation of the listed ingredients.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 1 of 9

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions