What's for dinner tonight?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 2 of 9
maurits Thursday 24 February 2005 9.13pm
Right- I ended up roasting the chicken the Janefs proposed it and I must say that it was delicious. A friend of mine came to dinner (he will probably read this, he's a lurker) and was very pleased. Thanks Janef and all the others for inspiring advice.
The Mapmaker Thursday 24 February 2005 10.19pm
Hands off that pheasant that's hanging outside my bedroom window, Stan.
mogoot Friday 25 February 2005 2.35am
I tried making 'Venison in Theakston's Old Peculier with Sticky Shallots and Garlic' last week (using stewing steak instead of venison) with a Mustard mash. Turned out very well. And Elephant Tesco even stock the dried forest mushrooms (shock horror!). (But tinned cherry tomatoes are a bugger to find anywhere - Marylebone Waitrose don't have them.)

http://www.waitrose.com/food_drink/recipes/recipesearch/recipe/0502038-r03.asp
Stan Friday 25 February 2005 10.35am
The Mapmaker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hands off that pheasant that's hanging outside my
> bedroom window, Stan.

- My poaching days are over, It's easier to call into Ashby's.

The Mapmaker Friday 25 February 2005 11.02am
You'll pass my pheasant before you pass Ashby's. And anyway, they're out of season now, so all he can offer you is a frozen one. (Whereas the one that's hanging outside my house will be, errrr...)

>>>'Venison in Theakston's Old Peculier with Sticky Shallots and Garlic' last week (using stewing steak instead of venison) with a Mustard mash.

Actually it is not Mustard mash, but pommes dauphinois. Same ingredients, different method of construction! Or at least it was in the magazine version - and Waitrose is the best place to find the ingredients!
The Unladylike Ms. Jo Friday 25 February 2005 4.55pm
That sounds like an invitation to go (hanging) pheasant-hunting in SE1... or maybe its round the back where no-one can see it.
mogoot Friday 25 February 2005 11.34pm
The Mapmaker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually it is not Mustard mash, but pommes
> dauphinois.

No, I made a Mustard mash (hence the lack of inverted commas around that bit).
The Mapmaker Saturday 26 February 2005 10.52am
No, it's out the front, as the back gets the sunshine. Go on, a prize for the person to spot it!

I did Stan's recipe on another pheasant last night. Except... with sweet white wine & dry sherry instead of cider - and omitted the caster sugar. Pinky's didn't stock organic dry cider.
The Unladylike Ms. Jo Saturday 26 February 2005 12.23pm
If the prize is an invitation to your dinner-party, then its worth going out specially to look. Or if left a bit longer, to sniff.
Plum Saturday 26 February 2005 4.20pm
Do you hang it by the tail feathers until it drops, or by the neck (really gamey!) ?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 2 of 9

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions