Wills

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 1 March 2005 3.12pm
Does any one know where I can inspect wills dated from 1989 to 2003? have tried websites and cant find any relevant..tried phoning but got a recording...:-(
Tuesday 1 March 2005 3.40pm
Jan,

Do you mean you want to inspect Grants of Probate (i.e. if someone has been granted the legal right to deal with property falling under a will) ? If so - this site should give you all the information you need. Basically you can search the relevant Calendar for free in person at First Avenue House in London or they will do the search for you for a fee (takes about 21 days by post):

http://www.courtservice.gov.uk/cms/3734_3737.htm

The only thing I would say is that a search of the Calendar won't give you a copy of the actual will. You need to order paper copies of the grant. Sometimes the grant of representation includes a copy of the will, sometimes it doesn't - I seem to recall from my student days it depends on the type of grant given, but not much more detail than that.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 1 March 2005 3.43pm by Siduhe.
Tuesday 1 March 2005 3.47pm
I think there is some super-duper new system recently launched to provide copies of wills within the hour. I'm not guaranteeing that it actually works...

2002 Court Service Press Release follows...

WHERE THERE''S A WILL THERES A WAY

36/02 4 February 2002

Modernising Government - launch of new high-tech storage facility for documents - Birmingham

Documents, including wills of some of the most famous people in the UK are to be held, centrally, in a new purpose built storage facility and document retrieval service in Birmingham. The Probate Records Centre will be opened today by Michael Wills, Minister for the Courts at the Lord Chancellor''s Department and Dame Elizabeth Butler-Sloss, President of the Family Division.

The contract, signed with Hays Information Management in July 1999, is worth 16.7million over 25 years, compared with an estimated 33million for a completely publicly funded centre.

The new centre replaces previous arrangements where Probate documents were stored in District Registries throughout England and Wales. The total number of records stored is 276,042 boxes and books, amounting to 35 kilometres worth of shelving space equivalent to the length of nearly 1,500 tennis courts.

Members of the public can go to any Registry in England and Wales and request to read a copy of a will for 5. Previously, a copy would have been sent in the post, taking several days, but the Probate Records Centre will scan the will and send it back to the Registry within one hour of the initial request. Plans are already in place to investigate the possibility of making the service accessible via the Internet.

Members of the public, courts and financial institutions often need to obtain copies of wills for a variety of reasons. Courts and institutions need to obtain copies for use in civil proceedings and to release assets to executors administering an estate, whilst relatives may want to get hold of certain wills to trace distant relatives and research family trees.

Records held at the centre date back to 1858 and the centre will ensure the preservation of these documents which include wills of historical significance, for example, Charles Darwin, Winston Churchill, Princess Diana, Florence Nightingale, Richard Burton and John Lennon.
Thursday 3 March 2005 9.29am
Thank you so much the pair of you...:-)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: