Bulldog Broadband - bargain

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Tuesday 1 March 2005 3.47pm
I signed up to Bulldog this lunchtime, at Asda. The offer seemed too cheap to be true - it's no more than I pay NTL, and I get 4MB broadband thrown in for free...

1 connection fee (currently i'm on NTL, have to change to BT).

30 per month only - for 12 months - giving 4MB broadband.

1 month notice period.

The bloke has a better deal than any other deal I've seen. If anybody fancies it i've got his phone number.
Tuesday 1 March 2005 9.55pm
Hmmm, I got a circular about Bulldog and actually wanted to ask someone if it's as good as it sounds. Trouble is I'm contracted to AOL and BT till next May..should I just junk them and go for Bulldog?
Wednesday 2 March 2005 9.35am
I'm on their 4mbit service, I used to be on plusnet's 512k.

- Plusnet had far better support. 24x7 and generally pretty quick at answering the phone. Bulldog's is (still?) limited hours. For me it's closed in the hours when I need it.
- Bulldog seems to have a plethora of different sites with varying log ins and annoying user interfaces.
- They took an age to install - possibly a BT issue rather than Bulldog.
- You'll be hard pushed to get the 4meg running to it's max. Not that Bulldog aren't giving you it (contention aside), but there's not often you really want to go that fast. You might get the benefit if you are a BitTorrent user, but then again I've only got that running to 100k/s, whereas the max on 4megs should be 512k/s

All in all, I'd still recommend it, but it's a luxury service for me. Pretty much everything I do, inc. p2p, would work almost the same on 1megs. The clincher was that when I moved, plusnet wouldn't waive the installation fee, whereas Bulldog were doing it for free. So year one cost of Bulldog was about the same.
Thursday 3 March 2005 12.34am
I have been on their 4MB system for a few months now. I am extremely happy with them, after a few teething problems right in the beinning (I signed up when this service was first offered last year.)

I do get proper fast speeds, this is today on the ADSLGuide speedtest:

Direction
Actual Speed True Speed (estimated)
Downstream 3898 Kbps (487.3 KB/sec) 4209 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 385 Kbps (48.1 KB/sec) 415 Kbps (inc. overheads)

And I do get those speeds for p2p, if there are sources available for that.

And I have no connection to this company, before anybody starts accusing me of plugging. Something I did not know, when I signed up, was that Bulldog is now a part of Cable & Wireless.
Friday 4 March 2005 1.54pm
It's a great offer - I've used BD for a couple of years - their service has been good once up and running but installation/upgrade has caused a lot of gief and not just to me. Their Customer Support has deteriorated since they were bought out last year and since their obvious large expansion - expect a month lead time for your 4mg connection from the date you get your line cleared (of your old servcies). If you have any problems at all then this is likely to extend - it took them 10 weeks to upgrade my 2mg to 4mg service....but since I finally got it going it's been brill.
Friday 4 March 2005 2.42pm
Hmmm.... the bloke promised me that they would be installing today & up and running by tomorrow. But he also promised me free calls to mobile phones after 7pm and all sorts of other things that are a load of baloney.

It still seems like a good deal, though, and it costs less per month than AOL 56k dialup...
Friday 11 March 2005 1.05pm
The Mapmaker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hmmm.... the bloke promised me that they would be
> installing today & up and running by tomorrow.
> But he also promised me free calls to mobile
> phones after 7pm and all sorts of other things
> that are a load of baloney.
>
> It still seems like a good deal, though, and it
> costs less per month than AOL 56k dialup...

So, how did you get on ?
Wednesday 22 June 2005 4.35pm
I joined Bulldog a month or two ago and I'd suggest that if anyone out there's thinking of joining them - think again. Just make sure you've got a really good reason to switch.
Yes, the service is good when it works but I'm getting increasingly narked by unreliability (lost two days this week so far, no broadband service at all unless you count being able to access their own page that tells you everything's working and is just peachy).
What really winds you up though is the lack of customer service - before you sign up, trying dialling 0870 404 8151 and see if you can get through - that's a taste of what you could have to come...

Wednesday 22 June 2005 7.32pm
I've been considering switching to them, but I keep hearing about their poor customer service. Some people are kept waiting for 2 hours trying to get through to support. There are lots of opinions in this forum:

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=bulldog

However, I don't think I can resist the lure of 8mb much longer. Another provider is ukonline, who also do 8mb, but southwark exchange is not wired up for them yet.
Wednesday 22 June 2005 9.51pm
I am on BT Yahoo broadband and I think I should be able to get a better deal then I currently have. What holds me back is the fact that I don't feel like changing my email address. Does anyone know whether this is really necessary?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: