Unusual bar for a date?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 23 March 2005 5.38pm
Hi

You're all knowledgeable folk, so perhaps you can help me.

I'm looking for a really unusual or magical bar - anywhere in vaguely central London - for a date.

It shouldn't be too noisy, so we can still hear ourselves talk, but somewhere which is really going to stick in the memory. Stylish or expensive is absolutely fine, but equally if it's quirky then great. The bar equivalent of "Tropicana" by Shunt maybe??

Thanks!
Wednesday 23 March 2005 6.02pm
I like Milk & Honey in Soho - like a 1930's speakeasy, soft jazz and lighting, not to everyone's taste but the cocktails are fab. Great for a date.

The only thing is that you can't drink after 11pm if you're not a member, but book in early and arrange to leave by 11pm and you should be fine.

http://www.mlkhny.com

I have no connection etc etc (although I do go there lots).

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 23 March 2005 6.03pm by Siduhe.
Wednesday 23 March 2005 6.22pm
You're obviously thinking along the right lines, because Milk and Honey (and the Player) is one of my regular haunts! Thanks so much for the suggestion. Any more?
Wednesday 23 March 2005 6.57pm
What about the Townhouse in Chelsea - can get a bit busy, but nice drinks and I think you can reserve a table ? It's really nice, very like the Player, but not what I would call memorable in the way that M&H is. http://www.lab-townhouse.com/

For upscale date elegance - the Champagne Bar at the Great Eastern Hotel (but can be a bit full of suits during the week).

More quirky is the Brixtonian Havana Club in Brixton - colourful, carnival atmosphere but you need to like rum or mojitos to get the most out of the experience !

Garlic and Shots on Frith Street is mad fun, totally eccentric but absolutely not date material (it's a rock metal hangout)

Wednesday 23 March 2005 8.10pm
A slightly odd place is the Theatre Bar situated under the theatre where Blood Brothers plays (but don't let that put you off) - on Charing X Road

There's also the wonderful (but can get packed) Gordon's Wine Bar on Villiers St (nr Embankment Tube) - if you haven't been think low candlelit vaults ...
Thursday 24 March 2005 11.22am
There's also the bar at Claridges - not as expensive as you'd imagine, with great service and drinks and fantastic old fashioned loos. I love it there, and it's got a milk and honeyish vibe. There's also the bar at the great eastern dining rooms, off charlotte st in hoxton, where you can drink rhubarb martinis. Also, there's the roof gardens in kensington which are a good unusual place.
Hope those help.
th
Thursday 24 March 2005 4.53pm
I like this place:
www.guanabara.co.uk
Although maybe not great for a date, better for a party! I had a work leaving do there recently, it was a lot of fun.
I think it gets really packed on a Friday and Saturday but Thursday's are really quite quiet.
Thursday 31 March 2005 9.06am
And there is Trader Vics under the Hilton on Park Lane - it's Tiki heaven ... waitress service and cocktails to die for ...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: