where can I hide??

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Tuesday 5 April 2005 12.44pm
so it is official the election is May 5th. Where can i hide for the next 4 weeks to avoid the mountains of leaflets and "personal" letters from the candidates, smiling canvassers knocking whilst I am in the bath wanting my vote and wall to wall politicians on the tele slagging each other and the various policies off?

I'm off to the Travel Agents!
Tuesday 5 April 2005 12.58pm
If the letters are 'personally' addressed to you, with any luck the SE1 postal system won't let you down as they won't deliver them ... though I think that only tends to work with post that you do want to receive!
Tuesday 5 April 2005 7.59pm
I take it you're voting Dee Dee?

You should count yourself lucky to be able to take part in the process, remember, we have to suffer football 10 months of the year...

Jazz it up by doing what I do. When the candidate of your choice lands on your doorstep, engage them, make them do some work to convince you that their party will be the answer to your problems.

Then, with the party of your choice, say: "No thanks. I'm voting Green/Labour/Tory/Libera.l" Then, shut the door and make yourself a nice (smug) mug of tea, happy in the knowledge that you'd wasted their time.
Tuesday 5 April 2005 9.09pm
Why, Harry? If they are the candidate of your choice, and you don't need to reassure yourself you've made the right choice, why so deliberately waste their time so they don't use it effectively? I'm also not quite clear on the parallel with 'suffering football 10 months of the year' - as with anything else there's an off button or alternative.
Wednesday 6 April 2005 12.42pm
None of them ever come to see me (not sure if I'm pleased or hurt!). I remember when I was 18 (my first General Election) telling the SDP candidate that I was going to vote for him & he nearly fell over with shock - he'd had so many doors slammed in his face! Needless to say he didn't win, it had been a safe Tory seat since the year dot, but I think I cheered him up a bit.
Wednesday 6 April 2005 1.51pm
Dee Dee, not to be too profound about all this (I agree with your cynicism generally) but people recently risked being shot to vote in Iraq and thousands were prevented from even trying in Zimbabwe. People who don't vote give up a right that has been hard won down the centuries, however flawed our system. How can you whinge about the government for four years if you did nothing to stop them getting in in the first place? And, as someone wise said last week, vote for who you really believe in; to vote tactically warps the overall consensus and sends a misleading message to politicians about what we really think... as if they care.
Wednesday 6 April 2005 1.56pm
I think everyone should vote. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it illegal not to vote in Australia (or is it NZ) ?
Wednesday 6 April 2005 2.01pm
Excuse me all, but Dee dee never said she was not voting. Thats quite a different thing from wanting to avoid all the paper wastage, spin and adversarial ranting, which sounds entirely commendable to me. Its much better to make your mind up on the facts and not get sidetracked into all the propaganda.
Wednesday 6 April 2005 3.57pm
Thank you TUMJ that was the point I was trying to make (and to be honest with all the parties aware that the election would be called for this May it already feels like we have had months of campaigning even though it has only been one day- and I am all ready fed up with it!!)

I have every intention of casting my vote even if it is ineffective-as a woman I am very aware the debt we owe to those who sacrificed so much to get us this right and i do agree that people who do not vote deserve the Governments they get.
Jac
Wednesday 6 April 2005 4.22pm
kmitchell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
And, as
> someone wise said last week, vote for who you
> really believe in; to vote tactically warps the
> overall consensus and sends a misleading message
> to politicians about what we really think... as if
> they care.

Thats all well a good but the problem is what do you do if there is no one you really believe in? I think it is the lack of those that you can believe that leads to such low turn out.

I shall be voting and generally do but there have been occasions in the past where I honestly could not bring myself to vote for any of the candidates.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: