Pigeon recipe?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 15 April 2005 8.24pm
I've just cooked pigeon breasts for dinner. What can I do with the carcasses? The legs and wings have a bit of meat on. It would be a shame to waste them. Any ideas? Soup?

(Edited to correct grammatical agreement error)

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 15 April 2005 8.26pm by simon83.
Friday 15 April 2005 11.26pm
Yep, that would be the best bet. Nice base for a soup - boil bones etc with diced sauteed onions, carrot & potatoes, fish out clean bones then liquidise.

Or a good stock - roast bones for 1/2 hour then simmer with 1/2 onion, bay leaf, carrot & celery stick, strain through muslin (or coffee filter!) You can freeze the stock & use it as the base for the sauce next time you have pigeon breasts or game stock is very good for a wild mushroom risotto.
Saturday 16 April 2005 5.56am
http://212.2.21.3/ will take you to a site called Game To Eat. Some good ideas for the next time you have pigeon. They're very cheap with a good flavour, although older birds tend towards toughness, so should be casseroled rather than roasted. I too use coffee filters for straining stock.
Monday 18 April 2005 2.56am
Cheap indeed. Reduced to clear (99p each) at Waitrose. Thanks to both of you for the contributions. I made soup - with a couple of crushed juniper berries in it too.
Monday 18 April 2005 6.13am
Where, one asks, is Mapmaker these days? He's the game one.
Monday 18 April 2005 2.01pm
simon83 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cheap indeed.

Don't you mean 'cheep cheep indeed'?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network