A Suckling Pig

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Monday 18 April 2005 4.00am
Our great butcher, Harts in Pimlico, has decided to sell up and move to Devon. Even more sad as the alternative, Hesters on Kennington Lane, is apparently also seeking to move on.

Anyway, whilst talking about the need to stock our freezer with his sausages, pies and fruit crumbles, he asked me if I would like a suckling pig. He has one in his freezer. And was happy to pass it on to a good home.

I agreed this provided food for thought.

So any ideas? We could celebrate TLMJJ's birthday in style.....

Monday 18 April 2005 6.12am
Blimey, suckling pig in Clerkenwell.....this birthday gets more exotic by the moment. alas our freezer wouldnt accommodate a small pig or we'd have it to roast on our terrace on 10th June....
Anonymous User
Monday 18 April 2005 9.11am
Sarah - that is priceless! What better way to celebrate the birthday of a vegetarian than with a dead pig!

LOL
Monday 18 April 2005 9.44am
jackie rokotnitz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Blimey, suckling pig in Clerkenwell.....this
> birthday gets more exotic by the moment. alas our
> freezer wouldnt accommodate a small pig or we'd
> have it to roast on our terrace on 10th June....

If someone could find freezer space, I'd roast it for you.

Monday 18 April 2005 10.06am
Also, remember that piglets are not very big. We're not talking the size of pig you may see on a spit at a hog roast.

Avge size for a suckling pig IMVHO would be circa 18ins long and approx 6 in max in diameter.

Same sort of size as a big leg of lamb, say (or perhaps the size of middling marrow, for the vegetarians).

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 18 April 2005 11.58am
Ah well, in that case the hungry hordes on 10th June will need more than that. But Ivanhoe can roast it for Sunday lunch.
Monday 18 April 2005 9.11pm
It'd be blooming good at, say, a cider festival where we're all camping, Jackie (as long as the nice campsite man was OK with it. I've been in trouble for roasting whole animals on campsites before.)

Wednesday 20 April 2005 1.01am
Ooh yum, a hog roast! (lots of crusty bread & apple sauce too of course!) but Ivanhoe is right, generally a suckling pig would probably only serve about 2 people generously. (there is a fab Chinese restaurant in Holland where we always have 1 suckling pig between 2)
Wednesday 20 April 2005 9.54am
A suckling *piglet* surely if it only serves 2?

The St John restaurant (listed this week as tenth best in the world) has on its menu "Whole Roast Suckling Pig & Watercress Salad (each pig feeding 14 diners, 280.00 per pig including side dishes of the salad, potatoes and greens. Seven working days notice required to guarantee availability.)

Vegetarians and pig lovers look away now (and what you're reading this thread for anyway, I don't know...)

Check the detail for yourself:
http://www.stjohnrestaurant.co.uk/menus.cfm

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 20 April 2005 9.55am by markandjoan.
Wednesday 20 April 2005 12.27pm
When does a piglet become a pig?

I reckon if the pig in your picture is still a suckler, Mark, then it's a case of "Bitty" (for the Little Britain viewers).

Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: