Sushi rice...assistance please...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 26 April 2005 11.29am
A very funny query for the forum, but I know many of the posters are culinarily able to a very good degree...

Should sushi rice be washed prior to cooking or shouldn't it? Most websites say to wash until the water runs clear, but some say that the cereal starch used nowadays means no washing is necessary prior to cooking...

As I've only used boil in the bag sushi rice out of a sushi kit before (which, incidentally, oozed starch as I cooked it) I don't actually know what's best.

Anybody?
Tuesday 26 April 2005 12.12pm
A bit of starch helps give that sticky texture that makes for sushi perfection. I'm sure there are conflicting theories as to whats really authentic etc. Presuming this sushi is for personal consumption, in which case, try washed,lightly rinsed and unwashed, and see which you prefer. Those sushi kits are poor value and take away the pride of home production.....
Tuesday 26 April 2005 12.43pm
According to SE1's Japanese cider maker, Yoko, you should wash the rice at least 3 times until the water is clear. Soak the rice for at least half an hour. Bring it to the boil, cook on a high heat for 10 minutes, then a low heat for 7 minutes, and then let stand for 5 minutes.
Tuesday 26 April 2005 2.30pm
Ok - that sounds similar to the bulk of the advice out there on the interwebsupernetway...I'll give it a toot. Thank you!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: