Any aspiring comedy bookmakers?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 26 April 2005 6.48pm
I'm so excited, I would appreciate it if someone would help divert me.

It's the Big Apple coming up and some of SE1's finest urban artisan cidermonkeys will be swooping on Herefordshire to enter their nectar into a blind tasting battle against the finest that the Three Counties have got to offer. (Trans: shambolic, but lovely, glamorous, and well-meaning, virgin SE1-ers enter a cider competition against people who know what they're doing and have done it in their sleep since they were foeti).

There are half a dozen classes to enter (of which I reckon we'll be lucky to have different enough ciders to enter two or three between all of us), and I think about 5 or 6 of us are entering in total. I've no idea how many "real" contenders will enter, but it should be pretty much all the professional producers in the area, as well as plenty of farmers who make a few barrels, and presumably a few people like us who do a few gallons with friends as a hobby.

Would anyone like to price up this epic David v Goliath battle?

[I would entirely encourage people offering wagers of a non-cash variety. Funnier the better. You could also just post if you want to make a harmless forfeit bet with yourself that you don't mind making public, e.g. I'll clean the bathroom this week/month/year if anyone from the SE1 posse win anything.]

[Obviously please don't suggest anything that will get James into trouble for naughtiness on the website]

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 27 April 2005 8.19am
My strict puritanical morals are outraged by this suggestion...if I knew how to open a book I would, but where can I place bets if I'm not at the "do". Chances of a flutter...and more hope than the Lottery...sounds good to me.
Wednesday 27 April 2005 11.50am
Ivanhoe...I'll hedge me bets and do two bob each way!..:-)
Wednesday 27 April 2005 12.56pm
Are any of the participants likely to remember (after this cider-fuelled weekend) who, if anyone, won anything ... and indeed, if they were actually there ...

but that being said ...

... if you win, I'll finish A Short History of Nearly Flaming Everything!

Wednesday 27 April 2005 2.02pm
EXCELLENT wager Julie!

That's the spirit I was hoping for.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 27 April 2005 10.40pm
The spirit I hope for is vodka ... and lashings of it if I'm to get through BB's SHONFE

Anyway best of British to all the SE1ers this weekend!
Thursday 28 April 2005 7.00am
I'm gutted that we're stting on the beach in Tel Aviv instead of being in Much Markle or whateveritscalled. However, we look forward to imbibing the results of the weekend.
Thursday 28 April 2005 8.09am
You know, I completely misread the title of this thread at first - I thought Ivanhoe was asking for someone to record for posterity the heroic deeds of the SE1 Cider crew at the Big Apple - in a humourous yet poignant way - perhaps in the best Norse tradition with an epic saga poem which would be recited in subsequent years whilst the suckling pig roasted on the bonfire in Potters Field Park and large flageons of cider were quaffed...

P.S. On second reading, perhaps you should just ignore me - it's been a long week...
Thursday 28 April 2005 9.33am
A paragraph each. Who starts?
Thursday 28 April 2005 10.00am
Twas brillig and the slithy tothes
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe
All mimsy were the borogroves
And the mome rathe outgrabe ...
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: