So... my new question

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 24 May 2005 1.37am
You might remember i asked about the relationship between cobblers fixing shoes and cutting your keys for you, well... i have a new question this week.

Walking along the side of the canal the other afternoon and i see some fishermen out.... fishing, as they do.

Apparently the place the bubbles come up in the water indicates one or more fish (the fish breathing so it seems)

But, i have another theory. Is it not the fact that these bubbles are merely fish farts? and have nothing to do with breathing.

Maybe on closer inspection, these bubbles may come in different sizes and if you could get close enough may be able to smell the difference between a fish fart and its breath, although... they may smell similar after all.

Anyway - answer away my fellow countrymen (and women)
Tuesday 24 May 2005 7.15am
Gosh Colin....almost as gripping as what to do about World Poverty.
Tuesday 24 May 2005 12.32pm
Colin, could it be gassy mud? why is the sky inside a rainbow always a different colour to the sky outside? why do I never fart when I am on my own, only in the confines of a crowded lift..... why is marks spencers knickers going down...no one wants 'em...:-(

why when i look like a geriatric wreck do i meet the first love of my life and his dishy twenty five year old girlfriend.....?

answers on a post card, under a plain brown wrapper please....
Tuesday 24 May 2005 2.26pm
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, but give a man a fishing rod and he'll sit in a boat and
drink beer all day.
Tuesday 24 May 2005 11.48pm
Gosh Jackie... maybe not quite as gripping as world poverty actually, but i shall humour your answer none-the-less...

Well its a known fact that I too have my own visions of ending world poverty - Help end poverty, eat the poor and the downtrodden!

Ending world poverty is a utopian idea but alas the world we live in is not. If we were to eradicate poverty who would do all the dirty menial jobs? You and me thats who! Poverty is the only cause for a low wage labour pool which we can exploit. If all were equals, if there were no poor people we would have to do our own dirty work, we couldn't exploit the poor anymore; so ending poverty is not in our best interests. if poverty were to be eradicated, who would buy all the cheap alcohol and other mundane items.

No, no, i think it is better off as things stand - well for now anyway.

Wednesday 25 May 2005 6.43am
Actually, having lived on a kibbutz in Israel for eighteen years of my life I did a huge amount of menial jobs. In the real world I worked in the building trade, so that was not exactly....er...delicate. However, now, at sixty five, it's true that I'm not much good for the menial jobs. But it's a disgrace that people should get paid diddly-squat for doing these jobs EVER. I;m only "against" (if that's the word) people who dont work at all.
Wednesday 25 May 2005 1.03pm
Did you know that Blooms kosher restaurant now charges 8-90 for a salt beef sandwich.
I used to work in Stamford Hill many years ago and we used to retire to Blooms for sunday lunch.
Fabulous food.
It was Jackies mention of a kibbutz that reminded me. There was always a Rabbi sitting in the
kitchen doorway making sure all the food was kosher. And it was, not only in the religious sense
but also in the taste and quality department.
Wednesday 25 May 2005 1.59pm
Colin Davis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > If we were to
> eradicate poverty who would do all the dirty
> menial jobs? Poverty is the
> only cause for a low wage labour pool which we can
> exploit. If all were equals, if there were no poor
> people we would have to do our own dirty work, we
> couldn't exploit the poor anymore;

Excellent logic, oh Questionmaster Colin.

Would an alternative be to populate the world with people who had respect for other human beings, and therefore did not want to "exploit" them?

Would it therefore (according to your logic) be a bad idea to encourage the people who do "menial" jobs to actually take a pride in them, or is this a waste of time (since you're relying on economics to keep half of the population downtrodden)?

Oh, I've lost the will to live. Replying to trolls. Should know better.
Wednesday 25 May 2005 2.10pm
Phoney, I thought Blooms had gone for ever. I used to go to the restaurant in Whitechapel but it closed some years ago. I remember Helen used to sit outside the kitchen, dripping in bling counting the days takings. I used to love it when the butcher came out into the restaurant with his apron covered in blood and no one batted an eye lid. Is there another Blooms?
Wednesday 25 May 2005 2.26pm
Certainly is...on Golders Green Road.

http://www.blooms-restaurant.co.uk/
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network