Homebrewing in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 25 May 2005 6.59pm
Ivanhoe asks do I do cider.
I am afraid not .
I have not really made cider at any time. I have dabbled with a bit of winemaking,but my real passion was brewing full mash brews of real ales.
Nothing can compare with boiling the carefully collected wort, with wonderfully aromatic hops for a couple of hours or so.
In fact what better way to pass the couple of hours waiting for the infusion to take place than to sample a couple of pints of the previous batch.
I made lots of pale ales, bitters , strong ales, barley wines , stouts , and even some lagers.
Unfortunately since moving to SE1 I have had to leave my old home brew equipment in storage as it is to bulky and takes up too much room in our small flat.
I would love to start again but again space is a premium and my wife would not approve of buckets ,and pressure barrels and fermenting containers taking up lots of space.
I have to drown my sorrows somehow and fortunately there are plenty of establishments around here selling real ales.
I know from reading the forum that cider is very popular in the SE1 area but are there any home brew circles.
Knowing I am not alone may convince me once again to get that malt mashing, and my wort sparging.
Wednesday 25 May 2005 10.59pm
Come along to the SE1 bash at our flat on June 10th and get together with the booze makers....sure you can work out something. Would our terrace be any use for your activities? The Cider Makers are thinking of storing their cider there.....personally, dont understand nuffink about them things...
Thursday 26 May 2005 9.47am
If you got starting on any beer, Hydrometer, I'd be interested in learning what to do and having a go as well. Now we've got all our cider bottled, we've got a few empty brewing vessels that could be put to good use.

The man we hired our cider presses from (Richard Burns. Cheers Homebrew in Cheam) was telling me all about making beer and it sounded very interesting. Perhaps I'll see you at Jackie's and we can talk about it?

...if you press it, they will come.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: