insects

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
mac
Thursday 9 June 2005 12.03pm
I've recently had a mini-infestation of little creatures in my flat. They look like ladybirds but are smaller, black, with tiny yellowish dots. I get about 3-4 appearing on the walls in my living room every day. I don't know how they get in as I live on the 3rd floor. They don't seem to fly. Does anyone know what they could be?
Monday 13 June 2005 11.48am
do southwark still have a environmental health section, perhaps if you pop one in a jar they can identify it? or pest control? in the old days they did...
Tuesday 14 June 2005 2.01pm
Mac, have a look at this sight, about 6 pictures down - could your infestation be ladybird lavae?
http://www.csearle.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/insects.htm
Wednesday 15 June 2005 10.56pm
Does 3 or 4 qualify as an "infestation"?
Thursday 16 June 2005 4.22pm
Yes. If they're elephants ;0)

...if you press it, they will come.
mac
Friday 17 June 2005 2.54pm
indeed Bmovie, it looks like the yellow spotted ladybird larvae. Mystery solved - thanks!
th
Monday 20 June 2005 2.13pm
Slightly off topic, but does anyone have any good ideas on how I can get rid of the caterpillar infestation on my sweet peas without blasting them with chemicals?
Have successfully got rid of the aphids on my roses by companion planting, and would like to try the same sort of method with the caterpillars if possible.
Any ideas much appreciated!
Tanya
Monday 20 June 2005 2.24pm
A big powerful hand sprayer, filled with soapy water, is the standard organic response. Works well on the aphids on our tomatoes, but I expect you might need a fairly strong blast to get rid of caterpillars.

Otherwise it's a case of picking them off by hand, or of getting a tame bird (or other predator).

th
Monday 20 June 2005 3.17pm
Have tried picking them off by hand but there are just too many...I'll definitely try the soapy water thing, I did the same to get aphids off the roses, but wasn't sure if it worked on everything.
Thanks!
Monday 20 June 2005 3.59pm
what companion planting did you use, out of interest, th? (I'm interested in things that will protect tomatoes, beans, lettuce, and potatoes)

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: