Favourite Places

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Anonymous User
Tuesday 21 June 2005 9.50am
Where are your favourite places outside of SE1?

I'm planning a road trip around/across/along the UK & would love some destination suggestions to get me started. I know parts of the south and south west quite well but otherwise am woefully lacking in knoweldge of this green and pleasant land.

Any ideas folks?
Tuesday 21 June 2005 10.30am
Scarborough (knickerbocker glory in the Harbour Bar. Pirate battles on the lake at Peasholme Park. Putting. Penny slots).

Chesil Beach and Abbotsbury (Dorset)

The Wye Valley (beautiful scenery for walking, canoeing, or just looking at from a table outside the pub. Oh, and they make cider there)

Can we come?

...if you press it, they will come.
Anonymous User
Tuesday 21 June 2005 12.37pm
Ooooh - do come! I've just been looking at Scarborough B&Bs - how cheap??? I think I might start there.
Tuesday 21 June 2005 12.47pm
Well if you're doing Scarborough, there's lots to do and see nearby - a few miles up the coast the lovely Robin Hood's Bay (little fishing village down a steep hill, hidden in the cliffs - http://www.discoveryorkshirecoast.com/robin_hoods_bay.htm ). And a couple oif miles further north the very lovely Whitby, very atmospheric, especially the ruined Abbey overlooking the cliffs. If you ever enjoyed Heartbeat on telly (the village, if not the acting and plots) then the locations are just a few miles in to the moors.

Castle Howard is on your way (assuming you're doing M1/AI then A64, not some strange route over the Humber Bridge).

What do you want from your trip - ruined churches and abbeys, busy seasides, zoos, museums and theme parks, great country side - North Yorkshire has it all.

mmm.... no connection to the North Yorkshire tourist authorities just in case the forum police start twitching...

And then there's York of course.

(sorry, 12 years living in York seems to have bubbled to the surface - I thought 10 years down here had cured me)

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21 June 2005 12.51pm by markandjoan.
Tuesday 21 June 2005 1.00pm
markandjoan have beaten me to the Castle Howard and Whitby recommendations while I was typing...

[nostalgic glow of childhood holidays]
As well as the delights of Scarborough set out by Ivanhoe, Scarborough is definitely a good touring base.

The North Yorkshire Moors Railway from Pickering to Grosmont is one of the best steam railway journeys for atmosphere.

There is plenty of good walking in both the moors and further south.

An 89-mile pub crawl across North Yorkshire

( Do they still also do reenactments of second world war sea battles in Peasholme Park lake, with mock torpedo strikes?)

(And what has replaced the glorious naffness of Flamingoland zoo/theme park?)

[/nostalgic glow of childhood holidays]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21 June 2005 1.04pm by Lang Rabbie.
Tuesday 21 June 2005 1.02pm
I too use and endorse the Wye Valley.
Tuesday 21 June 2005 1.03pm
Anstey Cove in Devon, near Babbacombe, staggeringly beautiful. Just to think I used clamber up and down there without stopping for breath!

it used to be a smugglers cove....
Tuesday 21 June 2005 1.05pm
Flamingoland is still there (UK's largest flock of pink flamingos, obviously) - and this gem from their web site ( http://www.flamingoland-caravans.co.uk/flamingoland.htm ):

"There are spectacular shows, too. Every day at Flamingoland you can see live performances from amazing sea lions and parrots."

Not sure if they are part of the same act though... the mind boggles. Now what more could you possibly want or expect from a day out?!?

Another memory bubble just surfaced:

Yorkshire (like most other parts of the UK admittedly) also hosts a few steam fairs and traction engine rallies over the Summer - Pickering, Malton, Masham (mmm... Theakstons Ale...) http://www.melright.com/music/whatson.htm for a full national list. Just think fairground organs and steam. Lots of steam.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 21 June 2005 1.10pm by markandjoan.
Tuesday 21 June 2005 1.16pm
The West coast of Scotland. Just make sure you get further than Loch Lomond - preferably considerably further. And BTW I want to come along with you and Ivanhoe too.
Tuesday 21 June 2005 1.20pm
and if you're in North Yorkshire, try the (newly restored and very lovely) Turkish Baths at Harrogate. Big thumbs up from both me and Mrs I (they do mixed sessions as well as single-sex ones).

{I remember Flamingoland. Scared me to death as a young Ivanhoe, when Mr and Mrs I Senior made me stand very near to one for a picture and it suddenly started flapping and pecking. Scarred me for life as far as flamingoes are concerned}

Oh, and Beverley is nice too.

And what about a day at the races (York, Thirsk, Beverley, etc)?

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: