Chav...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
kieran2698 Wednesday 25 February 2009 1.42am
Chav comes from Romany for child.

Heres a free Romany/ English dictionary. http://www.geocities.com/copperphantom/romdict.html

Many words in common usage in the UK hold their origin in the Romany language.

Bamboozle, bosh, busk, char, chore, corker, cosh, cushy, dad, gadge, gigolo, lolly, minge, mockers, moniker, nark, pal, posh and rogue all share a common Romany origin.

This word has been hijacked by the neo classist name calling, segregating, chastising good citizens of the UK and does nothing to slow the growth of the UK's under class.
Jan the old one Wednesday 25 February 2009 12.26pm
Crikey Kieran I use at least 12 of them and so does my old Mum! Mum was always saying don't put the mockers on it..
Laphroaig Wednesday 25 February 2009 12.58pm
There seem to be differing views on the origins of "chav", which are set out at the beginning of this thread.

I was under the impression that "posh" derived from "port out, starboard home"?
JonR Wednesday 25 February 2009 3.36pm
it's a common mistake to make Laphroaig, just like the word golf doesn't come from Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden, and **** doesn't come from Fornication Under Consent of the King.

the website www.Snopes.com gives a lot of these misconceptions.
mac Wednesday 25 February 2009 4.12pm
the word 'wharf' does not come from 'warehouse at river front' either, which is what the guys running the boats up and down the Thames tell tourists.
Laphroaig Wednesday 25 February 2009 4.18pm
I love Snopes, but it doesn't have anything about "posh" that I can see. According to Wikipedia, the Romany word "posh" meant a small coin, which doesn't seem much related. Interesting.
longlaner Wednesday 25 February 2009 4.23pm
According to the folks at the OED

"The story goes that the more well-to-do passengers travelling to and from India used to have POSH written against their bookings, standing for 'Port Out, Starboard Home' (indicating the more desirable cabins, on the shady side of the ship). Unfortunately, this story did not make its appearance until the 1930s, when the term had been in use for some twenty years, and the word does not appear to have been recorded in the form 'P.O.S.H.', which would be expected if it had originated as an abbreviation. Despite exhaustive enquiries by the late Mr George Chowdharay-Best, researcher for the OED, including interviews with former travellers and inspection of shipping company documents, no supporting evidence has been found."

As regards "chav" I found this on the Guardian website

'The etymology of the word chav is disputed, with suggestions such as "council housed and violent", "cheap and vulgar" and "Cheltenham/Chatham average". It's generally accepted, however, that it comes from the Romany word "chavi" meaning child.'
Tom Pepper Wednesday 25 February 2009 9.33pm
jlrowe wrote:

Is it true that peter mandelson when campaigning for his constituency went into a hartlepool chip shop, ordered fish & chips, pointed to the mushy peas and said 'I'll have some of that nice guacamole on it as well'?

My geordie mate swears it's true.

Urban myth or otherwise, this cracked me up!
longlaner Thursday 26 February 2009 2.57pm
This story has been associated with a whole string of people and is probably an urban myth. It does fit Mandelson like a glove, though.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions