Do you want to make cider in 2005 ?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 38
Siduhe Tuesday 5 July 2005 9.33pm
If you have read (with awe and wonder) the various threads and reports over the last year or so of the SE1 cider making venture, and would like to join us this year - this is the thread for you. Last year was our first effort and we made lots of new friends along the way.

Here are last year's photos - http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/1029503

The SE1 news report can be found here: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/1267

You do not need to have any experience, or ever have been to an SE1 social, or even posted on this site before. You may, however, need a silly cider making hat...

We need to get a sense of how many people are interesting in giving up a weekend or more in November to press cider apples and how much cider they would like to make (in gallons). If you are interested, please let us know by answering the following questions:

1) Do you want to make cider in November 2005 ?

2) Can you give up an entire weekend or part of a weekend to spend pressing at the Surrey Docks Farm ?

3) How much apple juice would you ideally like to take away with you ?

4) Would you rather contribute in some other way (we may need kitchen hands, drivers, press and apple tranporters etc) ?

5) Do you have a silly cider making hat (see last year's photos)?

6) Do you want to make perry and if so, would you be willing to do a seperate pressing weekend outside of SE1 ?

[Mr Hatts, is there any prospect that we could sticky this, just for a few days, to keep it from getting lost in the general cider talk ?]

Edited 4 times. Last edit at 30 August 2005 11.09am by James Hatts.
a man called Tharg Wednesday 6 July 2005 11.21am
I would like to help with the cider making. I don't want any juice (as I'm going to do my own pressing) but I'm quite happy to help out. I have a range of silly cider hats to wear.
Ivanhoe Wednesday 6 July 2005 12.13pm
1) Definitely
2) Yes. And unless something very strange happens I can take a day off on Friday/Monday
3) At least 30 gallons please.
4) Very happy to get presses/apples/whatever. I did the presses last year, and would do them again (but would also like to get apples for a change perhaps?)
5) working on it. it'll be there by November
6) Yes, I'd like to do perry. I have other ideas about how we might do it (other than going away to do a pressing), but let's talk about that next time we meet and keep this thread simple.

...if you press it, they will come.
janefs Wednesday 6 July 2005 1.29pm
1 yes
2 yes
3 none - but I'd like to taste some of the results
4 yes, minding the goats (or helping in the kitchen)
5 I would not be prepared to admit publicly to owning ANY silly hats
6 Unlikely

can we promote this topic to the main list to interrupt the 2012 references?
Mr Bridger Wednesday 6 July 2005 1.42pm
I'm in for same amounts and duties as last year. Quite happy to organise a van and drive it to where ever it needs to go. Last year we took away about 14 gallons. If this is feasible I'd like to have the same again. I guess amounts will be dictated by the number are participants.

I have extra hats if anyone find themselves struggle with this part of the deal.
JonR Wednesday 6 July 2005 5.24pm
yes, yes, 5 (or is it 7), maybe, yes definately (several in fact), no- but mrs R probably would.

am happy to fulfill the role of logisticator again (especially if it involves a little work as it did last year)
Jac Wednesday 6 July 2005 10.07pm
Jac mr Jac and two mini jacs say 1. yes. 2. yes 3. Not sure but definately some. 4. Possibly 5. Not as yet. 6. no
The Sarah Thursday 7 July 2005 4.16pm
Much the same for us. 2 adults, two children and 1. yes. 2. yes 3. Not sure but definately some. 4. Possibly 5. Children only 6. possibly
Plum Thursday 7 July 2005 6.44pm
Am available all weekend, am happy to pick, pack, transport or whaterver. I'd like to make 7 gallons of Cider and 3 ish (depending on size of fermenter available) of Perry.
Can we ask Emma about the pizza oven this year?
jackie rokotnitz Sunday 10 July 2005 5.18pm
Tell us when in November. I will have to go to Chicago sometime that month, but the Professor will be around and maybe both of us. And anyway he's the consumer of the cider so it follows that he should contribute to its manufacture.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 38

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions