New Whitehall monument

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 11 July 2005 1.57pm
I walked down whitehall this afternoon not really paying attention when suddenly I thought,
'they've covered the Cenotaph with black marble', or else the monolith from 2001 A Space Odyssey
has just landed. I wonder why it took until the 21st century to decide to erect this?
Monday 11 July 2005 2.05pm
'twas on the news last night

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 11 July 2005 2.47pm
Is this the monument to the role of women in WW2? To be fair it is only about 60 years overdue which is less delayed than some of us expect the Olympic stadium to be!

And is Whitehall open now then? I was at a meeting in Parliament Street earlier when we were told to move away from windows on the Whitehall side of the building and afterwards when I tried to get back to my own office (via the back door as the would not allow people out the front door) the top of Whitehall / bottom of Trafalgar Square was blocked by police.
Monday 11 July 2005 8.20pm

Why do the women of WW2 have to be hung up by the scruffs of their necks? And some of them cannot touch the ground.

Is female emancipation still so far away that we need to limit the cenotaph to men? And presumably because the cenotaph is white, this monument has to be black?

Or am I completely out of tune with the modern age????!
Monday 11 July 2005 8.30pm
Information about the memorial can be found here: http://womenswarmemorial.org/
Tuesday 12 July 2005 9.13am
Yes, I found all those uniforms hanging up in the air rather spooky I must say.
Tuesday 12 July 2005 11.07am
The Mapmaker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Why do the women of WW2 have to be hung up by
> the scruffs of their necks? And some of them
> cannot touch the ground.

I actually think that the concept of the memorial - the clothes of war being hung up on the arrival of peace is quite effective. I'm not completelty convinced by its execution
> And presumably because the cenotaph is white, this monument
> has to be black?

>I suspect the choice of granite and bronze owes a lot more to the need to appease fogey conservationists concerned that another predominantly Portland stone monumnet close to the cenotaph would diminish it

Tuesday 12 July 2005 1.59pm
>>fogey conservationists

Nowhere to be seen! Having read TLMJJ's link, I agree with you LR, about the imagery - and its lack of effectiveness in execution.

It brings me to think:

Cenotaph: Dead men & women
New lump: live women

What about the men who lived? Why don't they get a monument too? Is the cenotaph really so male dominated?
Tuesday 12 July 2005 4.50pm
Surely this monument is for women, because the cenotaph is a military memorial, covering most (but not all) men and (some) women in the military. The majority of women were not in the army, but busy doing all the civilan jobs ,and so not included by that memorial, so this a way of recognising their war effort.
Wednesday 13 July 2005 11.00am
Many men were not in the military either. Many men were in reserved occupations; many men continued working past retirement age. The new memorial seems strangely exclusive. Why not a memorial to the Home Front?

Or am I failing to be in tune with the 1980s?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: