Chewing Gum

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Saturday 16 July 2005 8.09am
Will someone explain to me why there is SO much chewing gum on the pavements? I mean, in America, the streets arent littered with little black circles of discarded gum. Are the Brits just unaware of the "spit it into the silver paper of the last bit and put it in the bin" system ? Are they just utterly disgusting people? Is it the lack of bins or "chewing gum posts". I really have become a " pavement watcher". In our building, I'm campaigning (for two years now) for sand bins for the fag ends and gum which litters our entrances. Sand bins arent a terrorist threat (you cant plant a bomb in a sand bin). They can be sifted daily with an ordinary kitchen sieve. Sand costs diddly squat. GET A SAND BIN TODAY.
Saturday 16 July 2005 10.07am
Do what we did in Singapore then -

It actually takes a heckuva effort to get rid of it. There is a Tory MP who was campaigning about this sticky issue too. I think it costs the Council huge sums to scrape it off or use special high pressure cleaners to do so.
I just thinks chewing gum make people look like upright cattle.
Saturday 16 July 2005 10.15am
The pathetic efforts of the manufacturers to educate people not to drop gum are not working - would the people who drop gum really notice the tiny symbols on the packets? The solution is a tax, the procedes of which are passed on to councils and are only to be used for gum removal. The danger here is that people would then think they've paid for the right to drop their gum on the pavement!
Saturday 16 July 2005 10.18am
Don't get me started on this one...
I also hate the constant "popping" noises of gum chewers; on buses and trains it's bad enough, but you hear it in theatres and cinemas too.
Saturday 16 July 2005 11.12am
Chewing gum is a good work out for the jaw and also helps the digestive system and keeps teeth cleaner.Also it
can resolve someones coffee breath issue.

Trans
Saturday 16 July 2005 11.49am
transmiral Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chewing gum is a good work out for the jaw and
> also helps the digestive system and keeps teeth
> cleaner.Also it
> can resolve someones coffee breath issue.
>
> Trans

Would you like to qualify those comments?
"A good work out for the jaw" - why does the jaw need this work out? What happens if you don't do it? Why hasn't my GP told me to do this?
"helps the digestive system" - do what exactly?
"keeps teeth cleaner" - really?
"can resolve someones coffee breath issue" - ??
Saturday 16 July 2005 12.22pm
Eugh - I HATE chewing gum. It makes me feel sick.
Monday 18 July 2005 9.37am
Does chewing gum loose its flavour on the bed post overnight?
Monday 18 July 2005 12.53pm
I have just had to have my trousers dry cleaned. I put my rucsac on the floor whilst sitting on a tube train, the train filled up, I picked up the rucsac and put it on my lap. When I stood up to leave the tube my rucsac was stuck to my trousers by someone elses filfthy gum.

I was not a happy soul.

Monday 18 July 2005 3.09pm
Me too, I absolutely hate chewing gum- like the TLMJJ, it makes me heave.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: