Whats Jewish food like?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 28 July 2005 11.49am
Could anyone point me in the right direction> I have only seen Bevis Mark restaurant but was wondering what its like? I assume there is Humus and stuff that is common to the middle east but whats really yum yum must haves?

Softie
Thursday 28 July 2005 12.52pm
"Jewish Food" can mean all sorts of things, but do not confuse Jewish food with Israeli food. Jewish food is usually taken to mean the kind of food the central european Jews ate (cholent, kishkes, chicken soup with dumplings, matza balls, etc.,) as opposed to Israeli food which is indeed largely littered with the hummus, tehina, kebabs etc., of the larger middle east (we should know, we are both Jewish and Israeli)!
Thursday 28 July 2005 1.46pm
Read Claudia Roden's Book of Jewish Food" - the 1998 Glenfiddich Food Book of the Year and probably one of the best cook-books of the last twenty years.

Subtitled "An Odyssey from Samarkand and Vilna to the Present Day" (more prosaically "An Odyssey from Samarkand to New York" for the US edition) it is as much a description of the history of the Jewish diaspora from Baghdad to Brooklyn as it is a cookbook. You can read it as social history as much as for the 800 tempting recipes from both the Ashkenazi and Sephardic traditions.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 28 July 2005 1.47pm by Lang Rabbie.
Friday 29 July 2005 10.03am
Oh LR why do you always make me feel so shallow and uneducated....
Friday 29 July 2005 10.11am
I haven't got around to trying the Restaurant at Bevis Marks with someone who can pass judgment on authenticity, (My jewish friends and contacts working for city institutions who might have paid for lunch have all been translated to Canary Wharf!)

I understand that it serves both traditional London kosher fare and some more interesting twists. Having visited the synagogue in the past - I'd certainly recommend arriving early for lunch to see this fascinating building next door.

Menu from restaurant website
Time Out review

Friday 29 July 2005 12.25pm
Yes Bevis Marks is not to be missed...interesting we've never been to the restaurant, so we shall jolly well GO. Thanks softhands for the inspiration. Some friends of mine were married in Bevis Marks, they are from one of the families who came to England from Holland when Cromwell allowed the Jews back in after their expulsion in the thirteenth century. They were mostly Saphardic Jews (those who were exiled from Spain in 1492 by Ferdinand and Isabella). They founded Bevis Marks.
Monday 1 August 2005 9.30am
Hmmm does this sound like another outing in the making?

Friday 5 August 2005 5.25pm
Dear JR and gang
i will be leaving the fair shores of SE1 and E1 as I am returning to the land of my birth and no chewing gum on Monday!

Its been a pleasure.
Saturday 6 August 2005 7.14am
Goodness softhands, that was quick...what happened to engender so fast a move? Good luck anyway, keep posting from the land of no chewing gum.
Monday 8 August 2005 4.54pm
Nak balik rumah-kah? Selamat Jalan.

No chewing gum, some pretty boring newspapers, but plenty of good food. And you can always cross the causeway to drop your litter.

Does the Government still organise singles events to encourage Singaporeans to procreate? An idea for Southwark Council?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: