Flatland-is it legit?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 1 August 2005 5.39pm
Hi I've started the long and tedious task of trying to find my boyfriend a cheap studio in Maida Vale, apon looking I found a company called Flatland that seemed too good to be true, you have to pay 61 to get onto their books and get unlimited amount of viewings on any of their flats. Sounds fine, however there are no photos of the properties just brief descriptions, and I dont really want to be ripped off. if anyone has had or knows anyone whos had experience with Flatland could you please tell me, are they legit?

Many Thanks.
Monday 1 August 2005 9.08pm
Yes I've used them, and they are legit :-)
Tuesday 2 August 2005 1.12pm
So you have to pay 61 for the 'privilege' of seeing the flats they have to rent? Sounds pretty fishy to me.

Tuesday 2 August 2005 1.15pm
Me too. Thought charging for the right to see property was illegal somehow?
Wednesday 3 August 2005 9.17am
The Mapmaker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So you have to pay 61 for the 'privilege' of
> seeing the flats they have to rent? Sounds pretty
> fishy to me.
>

There's nothing fishy about it. The agency provides a free service to landlords, which means that tenants actually save money in the longer term as the flats/studios have a slightly lower rent than normal. The 61 allows you to view an unlimited number of flats before deciding which one you want.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 3 August 2005 9.19am by wjfox2004.
Wednesday 3 August 2005 10.13am
They used to call it key money.
Thursday 4 August 2005 9.57am
>which means that tenants actually save money in the longer term as the flats/studios have a slightly lower rent than normal

No really! Because the few pennies that the landlord saves will be OBVIOUS as a reduction in cost... And what if you don't rent through flatland - you pay their costs as well as those of the other agent.

Leave well alone, and spend your 61 on something worthwhile.

So tebbers has made one post, and has floated a website that is 'too good to be true', and has been backed up by foxy who has never posted on any other topic (a sleeping cell?). Can I interest anybody in the pyramid scheme that Ivanhoe & I are starting????
Thursday 4 August 2005 10.14am
Why pay 61 when their rentals list seems to be available on findaproperty?

http://www.findaproperty.com/agent.aspx?agentid=3789&opt=list

Key Money is illegal of course which is WHY these companies charge a fee to view their lists, cos that is legal. Just pointless. And if you don't find one you like you go down the road and pay another 61.00 to another company. A bit like being charged to receive advertising texts, it feels like the wrong people being charged, but when you're desparate to find a home and of course unfamiliar with the town (not knowing about findaproperty, Loot and all the myriad other ways of getting accommodation), then these firms make a tidy income just from these viewing list fees.

Dare we wonder how many of these firms give back the deposit at the end of the rental without any problems...
Thursday 4 August 2005 10.37am
I'm glad you mentioned that pyramid scheme. We're off on holiday next week and could do with a but of spending money.

Send cash now (61 would be a good starting point, although obviously more would be better), to Ivanhoe Towers, SE1 666.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 4 August 2005 8.01pm
Ivanhoe, sent money for your "but" - could i have a receipt, please
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: